Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Running

First of all, I ran 7 miles today! The farthest I have ever run! I have run 6 miles many times, but until today, that was it. My current training plan is to run 4-5 miles 3 days a week and one day each week run a long run, adding one mile to the distance each week until the week before the half marathon. I ran the first 5 miles today without taking any walk breaks, but then at mile 5 and mile 6 I walked for about one minute. Next week when I run my long run, I plan to try this routine: run 8 minutes, walk 1 minute. This run/walk method has been made popular by Jeff Galloway, and I think it will be good for me and my knees.

I have two friends who are beginning to run. For them and anyone else out there who is interested, here are a few websites with helpful information.
Beginning Runner's Guide
Hal Higdon's Beginning 5K Training Guide
Jeff Galloway
Runner's World

My advice is to take it slowly, run slowly, and increase your distance/time slowly. I first began running consistently 18 months ago, and most of that was with the double stroller. Commit to sticking with it for 8 weeks before you decide that running isn't for you. I promise you, you will be hooked! Remember, each mile burns about 100 calories! (That's walking or running).
One more thing, once you are committed to running regularly, invest in a good pair of running shoes and some decent running socks (not thick 100% cotton ones).

Happy Running!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Roan! Seven miles is awesome!!

    I love the Jeff Galloway site! Out of all of them, his (to me) seems the most encouraging; makes me feel like I can do this!

    Keep posting your progress. It's so motivating.

    Have a wonderful day!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed - you amaze me!
    I will be thrilled when I can run 1mile without a walk break! I did the walk 2 run 1 again this morning and it really did seem easier than on Monday! Keep motivating me! I really do need it! See ya tonite!

    ReplyDelete