Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The Last Day of School!

Leah and Sam completed their last day of school for the 2019-2020 school year yesterday! Yay!
We will continue daily Bible study together each morning, but other than that, our days are free.

I realize that I have not updated the sidebar on this page that lists our current curriculum in two years. I will update that this summer with our 2020-2021 curriculum. This past school year (Leah-10th and Sam-8th) we used the following materials:

Leah

  • English--Easy Grammar, Daily Grams, The Lively Art of Writing, Wordly Wise, and literature books corresponding with the history time period we studied (1700-1850). She read Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, and I can't remember what else right now. She also wrote her first research paper. She did written or oral narrations each day.
  • Math--She worked in Saxon Algebra 2 first semester, and then we switched her to Math U See geometry for second semester. She worked 2/3 of that book, and she will finish it at the beginning of the next school year before getting back into Algebra 2 (not sure if we will use Saxon or Math U See yet)
  • Science--Apologia Chemistry
  • History/Geography--We studied the years 1700-1850 in both American and world history. We also studied Ancient Greece once a week throughout the year. I read aloud to both Leah and Sam The Children's Homer. My resources and lesson planning guides were from A Gentle Feast Cycle 2 and Simply Charlotte Mason, Early Modern and Epistles. We used several books to cover this time period....too many for me to list right now, but I compiled our list choosing from both A Gentle Feast and Simply Charlotte Mason plus adding a Sonlight book here and there. 
  • Fine Arts--We studied the artists Thomas Gainsborough and John Copley, the composers Vivaldi and Mozart, poets William Wordsworth, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Robert Frost, and the Shakespeare play, Twelfth Night. Both Leah and Sam also worked half of Artistic Pursuits.
  • Foreign Language--Spanish. Leah completed her second credit of Spanish this year.
  • Bible--We memorized Psalm 139 this year and we spent time each day reading and studying Luke, Genesis, Proverbs, Psalms, Ephesians, and Jeremiah (not all of each of those books--portions of some).
  • I also read aloud to Leah and Sam Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, The Silver Chair, The Ravenmaster's Secret, A Napoleon biography, The Horseless Carriage, and Amos Fortune, Free Man.
Sam 
  • English--Easy Grammar, Daily Grams, Wordly Wise, written and oral narrations, and literature books from the same time period as Leah.
  • Math--Saxon Algebra 1/2
  • Science--He finished Apologia General Science from the previous school year and then worked through module 10 in Apologia Physical Science.
  • History/Geography--same as Leah, but with some different books to read (some books they shared.)
  • Fine Arts--same as Leah
  • Foreign Language--Sam began Rosetta Stone Spanish
  • Bible and read alouds--same as Leah
Sometime in the next week I will clean out Leah and Sam's schoolbooks, papers, desks, etc. I will average grades as needed, update Leah's transcript, and file whatever I think I need to save. In June I will begin thinking about our upcoming school year and buying what materials we need.

Let the summer fun begin!

4 comments:

  1. We are finishing up our school year this week, just getting those last tests taken and all projects completed. Yeah! I am enjoying going back and reading some of your past posts. It seems we homeschool in a like manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy,
    The main spine of my homeschool (after God's Word, of course) has been good literature. I cannot count how many, many hours I have read aloud to my children over my 19 years of homeschooling. I will begin planning my next school year soon. I love planning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked seeing what you did--especially b/c I'll have an eighth grader this year! We definitely want to add some Ancient history--I'll check out The Children's Homer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easy to read and understand. I read it aloud to the kids once a week. We also read Famous Men of Greece. There was some overlap, but together, I feel like it was a painless way to cover ancient Greece.

      Delete