Thursday, May 14, 2020

Some More About Books

Reading has been on my mind and so much lately. I have had more time to read during these coronavirus times. Back in January, I began Modern Mrs. Darcy's 2020 Reading Challenge. Her 2019 Reading Challenge is another goal that I set and failed to complete in 2019, so I purposed that I would do it in 2020. The challenge consists of twelve books in nine categories, and I have only one book left to meet this goal. Here are the categories and what I'm reading for each. I will also mention which book I have left to read.

  • a book published the decade you were born--Greensleeves by Eloise Jarvis McGraw (not read yet)
  • a debut novel--Where the Crawdads Sing
  • a book recommended by a source you trust--On the Bright Side by Melanie Shankle
  • a book by a local author--The Guardians by John Grisham (even though he no longer lives in Mississippi, he did for a long time. Plus I read all his books.)
  • a book outside your genre comfort zone--Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I normally don't like or read fantasy.)
  • a book in translation--The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia
  • a book nominated for an award in 2020--The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
  • a reread--Hannah Coulter by Wendall Berry
  • a classic you didn't read in school--My Antonia by Willa Cather
  • 3 books by the same author--The Story Keeper, The Prayer Box, and Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate
I am not currently reading or listening to anything on this challenge list, although I have Greensleeves on my iPad and The Accidentals on my nightstand. Right now I am reading Camino Island by John Grisham. Earlier this week I started reading Camino Winds by John Grisham, but I quickly realized that it is a sequel to Camino Island, which I read in 2017. I could not remember enough of the plot of the first book to enjoy the sequel (in my opinion), so I stopped reading Camino Winds, and I am now over halfway through Camino Island

I am listening to The Dearly Beloved when I am walking. I am really enjoying this book. Although around chapter 11 or 12 I decided I disliked one of the main characters, and chapter 13 made me question whether or not I still liked another character.....and I want to just shake a couple of them and tell them to stop being so self-centered. Chapters 14 and 15 offered some hope....there are 23 chapters plus an epilogue in all. I really need someone I know to read this book so we can discuss it. There is so much to discuss!

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea! I am going to take this challenge on as well....it's a little daunting, but I think it will be fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can go to the Modern Mrs. Darcy website and sign up for her weekly newsletter. Then she will send you a printable checklist. This is the first year I have done it, and I am so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete