Thursday, January 31, 2013

Changing My Bible Reading Plan

I began this year with a plan to read the Bible all the way through in one year.  The plan requires reading 3 chapters in the Old Testament, and 3 chapters in the New Testament daily, six days each week.  Actually, by following this plan, you will read through the New Testament four times and the Old Testament once by the end of the year.

I was about three days into this plan when I realized that it was not going to work for me.  I have read the whole Bible in 90 days three times, and after doing that I have developed two new preferences.
1.  I like to read the Bible in order--reading both Old and New Testament passages each day was just bothering me.
2.  I like to read large portions of Scripture when I am reading more than I am studying verse by verse.

So, the first change I made was to figure out how many chapters I would need to read each day if I wanted to read the entire Bible, in order (not moving from Old to New Testament each day), in one year.  Reading four chapters each day, six days a week would allow me to reach that goal.  I read using this plan until yesterday.

And then I made yet another change!  I decided that I really did not want to stretch out this entire Bible reading into one year.  I really, really like the B90 plan. So I opened up the 90 Day Bible Reading plan app on my iPad yesterday morning and began where I was.....Leviticus 4.  That is Day 8 of the B90 plan.  Today I read Day 9.  I am happy with my decision to read God's Word this way right now.

When I finish this 90 day reading I plan to pick up where I left off in copying Scripture--I am in the middle of 1 Thessalonians.  Back in the fall I began copying books of the New Testament, one chapter at a time.  Then I outlined each chapter and made notes.  So, the 2013 year plan is for me to complete B90, study some New Testaments books in depth, and then maybe do B90 again.

Training for a marathon and doing B90 seem incompatible with each other....since both take large blocks of time.  However, I am up for the challenge, in both areas, again!  My first priority of course is daily time in God's Word.  So I just get up early!  And on my long run days, if I can't get the entire day's reading completed before it's time to meet my friends to run, I just finish that day's reading later on in the day, even in bed at night if needed.

How is your Bible reading and studying going this year so far?  Do you have a plan?

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea. I've done the bible in year almost 4 times now, but I have a hard time doing that AND studying deeper into a NT book or two. I've never done the b90 plan, but I'm glad i came across your blog to try it! thanks for posting!

    kelly

    ReplyDelete