Saturday, February 2, 2013

Homemade Protein Bars--Again

I have been working on my protein/granola bar recipes lately.  First, I experimented with doubling or tripling each recipe.  Then I decided to combine my two original recipes and calculate the ingredients using an entire 21oz. jar of brown rice syrup and one 16oz. jar of peanut butter.  I did not like dipping out and measuring either the brown rice syrup or the peanut butter.  Too messy!

Here is the finished product.



***I have updated this recipe***
I no longer melt and spread the chocolate chips on top.  Instead, I mix them inside the bars.  So the finished product no longer looks like these pictures.


If you include the protein powder, the total grams of protein in these bars is 350.  If you omit the protein powder, the total protein is 287.  The amount of protein in each bar depends on the size that you cut them.

I have not tried leaving out the chocolate chips or including less chocolate chips by just stirring them in the bar mixture.....those are two more experiments that I may try.  I can't tell if the bars need the melted and then hardened chocolate chips on top to held hold them together.

Here is the recipe.


Protein Bars--Roan's Recipe

6 cups toasted oatmeal
6 cups rice krispie cereal
2 cups chopped nuts (toast with oatmeal if you want)
3/4 cup protein powder (4 scoops of Living Fuel)
1 21 oz. jar brown rice syrup
1 16 oz. natural peanut butter
3/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips 


Toast oatmeal on shallow baking pans for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Mix oatmeal, rice krispies, protein powder, chocolate chips and nuts in a very large bowl.
Microwave or heat in a saucepan brown rice syrup and peanut butter until slightly melted and easily stirred. Stir in salt and vanilla.
Pour melted mixture over dry ingredients and stir, stir, stir!
Spread into 2 9 x 13  baking dishes that have been sprayed with non-stick spray.

Put the bars in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Cut into small bars, and wrap them individually in plastic wrap.  I cut each pan into 20 bars.

2 comments:

  1. I love granola bars!! but hate not knowing exactly what I'm putting in my body when I buy the ones in the grocery store. I'm also trying to watch carbs while starting a running program. I'd like to lose about 10 lbs. How the heck do I eat enough to keep my energy level to run but also shed pounds by cutting back on carbs?? I'm in Week 4 of my running program, C2K, and still haven't figured it out.

    ReplyDelete