Friday, April 3, 2009

Home Building

"...But let each one take heed how he builds on it." 1 Corinthians 3:10
"If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward." 1 Corinthians 3:14
"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish pulls it down with her hands." Proverbs 14:1
"A gracious woman retains honor," Proverbs 11:16

What kind of builder am I? I am currently a home builder, but what kind of home builder am I?
  • Am I careful?
  • Will what I am building survive?
  • Am I a wise builder?
  • Am I tearing down my own house?

To be careful and wise and to build something that will survive, I must use the following quality building materials:

  • love for others in my family--love is unselfish, serving, kind, patient
  • speak kindly to and about others
  • model an uncomplaining spirit
  • model an attitude of gratefulness
  • model an attitude of service
  • use positive words, words of praise
  • THE MOST IMPORTANT BUILDING TOOL: God's Word. I must study, memorize, and apply it myself, then teach these tools to my children.

What could tear down my house that I am so carefully building?

  • anger
  • unrealistic expectations of my children's behavior
  • unrealistic expectations of a perfectly clean and tidy house (I am not talking about letting everything go and live in clutter and filth, but not have the expectation of my home appearing to be ready for Southern Living either!)
  • selfishness
  • complaining
  • moodiness
  • laziness

Building a home is hard work! It is not a fast process. Mistakes are made, and things have to be torn down and rebuilt. Much of the building in the beginning is so very important, but not even seen in the final product. But this foundation MUST be laid right. It must be built with quality materials. (God's Word, prayer, patience, love, service)

If what I build survives, then I will receive my reward--the reward of faithful adult Christian children who love God and serve Him with their lives, and the ultimate reward of my own salvation.

What an awesome responsibility! A home builder!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I confess that I have been lazy this morning. Aaron has had a migraine and in the bed with it, so our group lessons haven't happened. Caedmon took a good long nap, so I took advantage of the time and had a "research" hour in my nice big tub. Now, back to building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post! I definitely am guilty of tearing down my home at times. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the invite, but i don't think i'll be able to run 3 miles by April 18.
    i'm not giving up... but i don't think i'll be ready!

    love the post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such helpful thoughts, so timely for me!
    Those things will definitely tear down. And the first will definitely build up! Thanks Roan, I'll be looking back at this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Roan, for a wonderful post on our role as home builder.

    Blessings,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great message!! This is something that God always has before me, and an area He has helped me to show great progress in!! Praise His Name!!

    Thank you for the reminder and for your sweet spirit!
    Hugs and joy,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Roan! That was an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete