Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Shopping for Siblings

My children like to give gifts to each other on special occassions, and Christmas is no exception. They enjoy making gifts for each other, but they like a "store bought" present to give also. Instead of taking five children into Walmart, Toys R Us, or the Dollar Store to buy presents for their four siblings, keep everyone's gifts hidden, pay 5 separate times, and get the sacks into the car without anyone's surprise being spoiled, I let the children shop in "Mama's Store".
After I am through Christmas shopping for the children, I let them take turns coming into the storage room and viewing the other children's gifts. I charge each child $20, and they "buy" a gift for each of their four siblings. This way I know that the children are buying and receiving items that (1) the child really wants (2) are educational and/or long lasting (3) are practical and needed. This method of shopping has been really successful for our family. In case you are wondering, yes, the children get way more for their money this way. I am not expecting full reinbursement for the costs of the gifts, I only want them to spend their own money on each other.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very good idea Mrs. Roan!! I never would have thought of that!

    ~Hannah (from cross country)~

    ReplyDelete