Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bible Study

I normally read one chapter a day from my Bible, copy a verse or two into my binder, and write my thoughts or plans for applying the Scripture to my daily life. However, as I began reading James last week, I realized that the first chapter alone would take me several days to study. Chapter one of James contains so many wonderful verses!

Here are the verses I studied today:
Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (James 1:22)

It is not enough to just read my Bible each morning (or night) and check that off of my "To-Do" list. I also must not dismiss a verse or passage thinking that it does not apply to ME or MY LIFE. That would be deceiving myself. All of God's Word applies to me, and all of God's Word demands my full attention when reading and studying it. I must really pay attention to what I am reading, and I must make an effort to apply the teachings in my life that very day.

But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does. (James 1:25)

I must continue spending time reading and studying my Bible on a regular basis all of my life. I must hide God's Word in my heart (memorizing Scripture) so that I will not forget what I have heard. I will be blessed if I:

1. study the Bible intently
2. continue to study the Bible
3. not forget what I have read (Scripture memory)
4. put into practice on a daily basis what I have read.

1 comment:

  1. That's great, Roan. And the last one (#4) is always the tough one. ;)

    ReplyDelete