Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thanksgiving Produces Joy

I know I have said that many, many times, but it is so true! I first read that little saying in Debi Pearl's book, Created to be His Helpmeet. Think about it. Thanksgiving produces joy. It does. No matter how dire your circumstances may be, or how overwhelmed you are by your daily work, or how bored you may be with your ordinary days, being thankful for each little small thing will bring you joy! We are commanded in the Bible to rejoice in the Lord always. God's Word does not give any conditions for us to rejoice, just to rejoice. Always.
Each morning as I begin my day, I list 5 things that I am thankful for in my Bible study journal/notebook. This daily list helps me to focus on the good things in my life. When we choose to be thankful for what we have, instead of grumbling about what we do not have, our days will be so much pleasant. Our attitude about our circumstances affects everyone around us.

Here are some things that I am thankful for today!
  • Jimmy is off work for a few days. That means that we will take a break from school and spend time working around the house (inside and out) and playing, together. All 7 of us.
  • coffee--in the morning, in the afternoon, sometimes after supper--coffee!
  • My parents kept my three younger children while the rest of us ran the half marathon last Saturday. I am so thankful that my parents are healthy and able to visit and help out. Daddy helped Clay and Sam burn brush and trash for a couple of hours, and Mama kept the house picked up and folded lots of clean clothes!
  • my health, Jimmy's health, the children's health. I am extremely grateful for my children's good health. I think it's been over 4 years since I have taken any of them to the dr. for a sick visit! Sam has not been to the dr. for a sick visit since he was about 14 months! Of course they have colds and stomach viruses periodically, but nothing to warrant a dr. visit! I guess playing outside in the freezing cold without a coat, hat or shoes does not make you sick!
  • homeschooling my children. I really, really love homeschooling! I am so thankful that I can do it.
How about you? What are you thankful for today?

6 comments:

  1. What a great post!

    Today I am thankful for coffee, peacefully sleeping girls, my husband is home from Jordan safe and sound, our car started right up after replacing the battery last night, and finding The DaVinci Code on DVD at a library used book sale!

    Have a great day!

    ~ Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. COFFEE, my funny children, a great group of friends, and a beautiful weekend to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you completely on the coffee thing!!! Coffee in the morning and coffee at naptime!! Hot drinks = peace ~ well, sometimes, anyway!!! :-) Have a great day! I am thankful for your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Roan,
    I am thankful for family, friends and SUNSHINE!!!It's a beautiful day here today. Gotta say I am thankful for coffee too! It's a must in our home.

    Let Julie know that I go to crochet-mania.blogspot.com for crocheting ideas. Her name is Teresa Richardson, she has video tutorials on youtube also. I only knew how to crochet very very basic things a few months ago, simple single crochet stitch back and forth. Nothing major at all. She is an awesome teacher and I just have altered some of her ideas to make them baby size. She does have the booties, mary jane slippers and the dress and flowers on youtube. I added the flower to the dress, hers doesn't show a flower. I also just made up the headband, just from watching her do other things. Hope this helps. I really enjoy reading your blog, we miss everyone in MS. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, Roan! Great post! I heard that there is a little something that happens when we thank God...we suddenly realize we have way more to be thankful for than we thought originally! Thanks also births more thanks!!
    So cool! Blessings and hugs,sweetie,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, Roan, that sentence in that book truly changed my marriage, and really my attitude in general. It is one of those things that I must go back to over and over, but it is so true! My grandfather used to say, "You can make yourself happy or you can make yourself miserable..." Being thankful goes a long way to making yourself happy!

    ReplyDelete