Friday, March 19, 2010

Letters

I just read my sister-in-law, Megan's, recent blog post about the treasures her family is finding as they go through her grandparents' stuff. One of those treasures is letters. It got me to thinking about the box of letters that I have in storage. Letters that Jimmy and I wrote to each other when we were dating. We dated a little over two years before we were married. During that time we wrote letters to each other whenever we were apart.....during Christmas break or Spring break (this was during college, and we lived 4 hours apart when we went home), during the summers, and especially during the last year of our dating/engagement--Jimmy was in his first year of medical school, and I was a senior at Mississippi State. We were 2.5 hours apart. This was 20 years ago, so we didn't have cell phones or texting, no email, and long distance phone calls were very expensive. So we wrote letters. About two or three each week. And I have all of them in a box. I wonder if my children will consider them treasures when they read them one day, a long time from now, when they are going through our stuff.

They are treasures to me now!

1 comment:

  1. David and I have a box of letters to each other before getting married from twenty-five years ago. He was blessed to get a couple of one of his aunts letters to his uncle after they died. His aunt talked about her love for him and wedding plans and family happenings. Everyone else was wanting furniture and big stuff but David got those letters and pictures that are treasures of memories to pass on.

    ReplyDelete