The ladies in my church meet monthly for a Bible study. Currently we are choosing different topics or passages of Scripture to study for a month and when we meet, we share our notes, discuss the topic, and learn from one another. Last month we studied Titus 2:3-5. Here are the notes I made. The Scriptures are in italics and are from the King James Version of the Bible.
The aged women likewise that they be in behavior as becometh holiness.
* reverent, holy behavior
* not loud or obnoxious
* pleasant, dignified
* moral, upright
not false accusers
* not gossips or busybodies
* Don’t say anything about someone you wouldn’t say to their face.
not given to much wine
* We should not be slaves to or addicted to anything. We are only slaves to Jesus. Jesus should be the only thing we can’t live without.
teachers of good things
* Older women must teach the younger women.
* good things: Bible study, prayer, homemaking, marriage, parenting, service, hospitality, teaching
That they may teach the young women
* Teaching or training implies a long or ongoing relationship. We must spend time with younger women.
* You may be an older woman and a younger woman at the same time.
* We have a responsibility to teach and train young women, especially in today’s culture where mothers and daughters often live far apart.
To be sober
* Sober means being serious about your job. We have a huge responsibility as a woman. We must take this job seriously.
* Our lives will not be all fun and games. It is hard work. Women work hard!
To love their husbands
* No conditions here, just a command to be obeyed.
* A man feels loved when he is honored and respected.
* We must model and teach our children to honor and respect our husbands.
* We show honor when we treat him as special, do more than he expects us to do, and exhibit a good attitude---at all times.
* We must love our husband as he is; don’t try to change him.
To love their children
* TIME—this is the main way we show love to our children.
* Smile at them, hug and touch them, affirm them, praise them.
* Involve them in household chores, listen to them, talk to them, interact with them, and train them.
* Love them by teaching them the love of our Heavenly Father.
To be discreet, chaste
* Chaste means pure.
* Dress modestly.
* Do not be rude, easily angered, flirty, or flashy.
* Do not aim to draw attention to yourself.
Keepers at home
* The home is the woman’s domain.
* There is much work involved in running a household.
* A woman must smile and do it!
* Educate yourself, learn how to do things, plan, and organize.
* Sweet, pleasant, smiling, sympathetic, compassionate
Obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.
* We can pervert our Christian example and the gospel itself by disobeying our own husbands.
* The husband is the head of the household, and we must submit to him. This is God’s plan of order of authority.
* Obeying our husbands relates to our loving him. We love God, so we obey Him. In the same way, submitting to our husband’s will shows our love for him.