Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Update 4

Well, my surgery is tomorrow!  I am as ready as I guess I will be.  My house is clean, I am almost through washing/drying/folding all of our clothes, and I will be meeting my parents this afternoon to give them my children.  This all still seems surreal to me, especially since I don't feel sick, and tomorrow after the surgery, and all of my cancer is removed I will be feeling poorly for a while.  But I plan to bounce back as soon as possible!  I have already decided that I will run another marathon, post-mastectomy.  Lynn mentioned yesterday that we should run the New York City Marathon.  I am not sure about that exact one, but we will be picking out a really cool one for us to train for and run.

In my Bible reading this morning I read the following passage in Lamentations.


Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,

Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
 
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I hope in Him!”

The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,

To the soul who seeks Him.
 It is good that one should hope and wait quietly
For the salvation of the Lord.
Lamentations 3:22-26

Many friends and readers have told me that since hearing about the early detection of my breast cancer, they have been motivated to schedule a mammogram for themselves.  Fantastic!  Please do that!  Early detection is so important! I was guilty of taking my good health for granted, and I did not take seriously my doctor's recommendation of having a mammogram two years ago.  I did not want to make the time for another appointment, another school day disrupted.  But, thankfully, this year I chose to have a check-up and do all of the recommended tests for women my age.  I encourage you to take care of your health too.

I am not sure when I will be able to update again.  I appreciate all of  your encouragement and prayers.  Saying, "thank you" seems so inadequate, but I have been enormously blessed by all of you!

13 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Roan!
    Praying for you!
    The scripture you have quoted here gets me through many a day! ;) So thankful for the fresh, consistent, tender mercies of God.
    God bless you today,
    Rina Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. God is good all the time...all the time God is good. Rest in Him, Roan, and Keep up the God work.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are in my thoughts in prayers. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thinking and praying for you (though this is the first time I am commenting).

    There is no doubt in my mind that your good health pre-surgery is going to help you post surgery (I was a post surgical nurse for 5 years).

    Praying God's comfort and peace during this time.

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just remember, like training for a marathon, everything you have done has prepared you for this. We will keep you in our prayers ,Roan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May the Lord bless you and be with you and your family. We love you and will be praying for you.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted you to know that I have prayed for you to have peace and comfort tomorrow, for the doctors and all others involved in your surgery to get a great night of rest tonight and for your family to have a great calmness tomorrow. Also praying for a speedy recovery. The New York Marathon sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roan, just wanted you to know that you and your family are in my prayers. May you be blessed with a quick recovery and the opportunity to witness and share your faith with those that God has chosen to be in your presence. What a positive approach to the next run!! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible words of hope from the Lord in Lamentations! I prayed for you and your family this morning. We will be praying for you on your surgery day today and as you recover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been praying for you Roan. Looking forward to hearing an update. God is good and I am looking forward to hearing all He will do in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been praying for you and your family on this day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet Roan, Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete