Friday, March 16, 2012

I'm Getting Stronger!

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him. Psalm 28:7

First of all, let me say that I hope I am not boring my readers with my daily recovery stories, but, I have scoured the internet for blogs written by women who have undergone mastectomies and reconstruction and I just haven't found that many written by women like me--women who are my age, or who homeschool, or are full time homemakers, or just have lifestyles like mine.  So, I want to blog my experience in hopes of helping some lady doing a google search wanting to read about someone like her.  Does that make sense?

So, on to today's report.  Today is day 9 after my surgery.  I have had no pain medication, not even a tylenol in 24 hours!  I still suffer nausea, so I am taking Zofran a couple of times a day. I am not sure what is causing the nausea, but it makes me miserable, so I am taking the Zofran.  I took a shower, washed my hair, put on my make-up, and fixed my hair all by myself today!  And then I took a one hour nap!  

My mama went home today.  She has been with my children for ten days, and she has been at my house with all of us for six days.  But I feel well enough now to be here alone with my children, and I know that she needed to get home to and check on my daddy and grandmother.  Plus my daddy's birthday is tomorrow!  My mama has been invaluable these last several days.  Before my surgery, I thought I would be just fine here at home recovering alone with my family......but my mother insisted that she needed to stay.  Wow!  She was right!  I could have never made it this last week without her being here.  She is just a phone call and three hours away if I need her to come back, but I am going to try to make it alone now.

School--well, we are doing the school of life right now.  My girls are putting into practice all of their homemaking skills, and my boys are doing all of the manly chores.  And they are all earning an A+!  Thankfully, my dear, dear friends are bringing meals to our family six days a week for the next few weeks!  How great is that??  I hope to feel up to reading aloud to the children beginning on Monday, and maybe we can start back to full school a week later.  But, I am not going to push it.  I have many, many doctor visits for the next few months, and we are just going to work around that.  

My reading--so far, I have just not been able to read much except Facebook and blogs. I just get so sleepy and it's hard for me to concentrate.  Several friends have given me inspirational books and I bought a couple of books for myself before my surgery, and of course, I am way behind in my Read the Bible in 90 Days Plan.  I haven't decided if I want to try to spend the next two weeks trying to catch up, or just begin tomorrow where I left off, reading one day's readings per day, and just stretching this plan to 120 days.  I think that is more reasonable.  I can't wait to read all of my new books!  

I cannot thank each of you enough for your Facebook comments, emails, phone calls, texts, and visits.  I treasure your friendships!

10 comments:

  1. So glad you are doing so well! What a great idea to share your recovery here. I'm sure you are right--someone will be searching for exactly this and find such comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are taking it easy and yet progressing in healing. Praise the Lord for a shower!! :-) I bet that felt really good.

    I think that is great that you are blogging about it all to be an encouragement to others. What a huge blessing it will be to someone walking down this road.

    I was praying for you today and thinking about the changes and adjustments are dealing with. The Lord has carried you so lovingly and it's been a blessing to me to read about it. So keep posting!

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your recovery progress. You amaze me with your faith and spirit. Keep it up. Will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bored by these updates at all, as a matter of fact I look forward to them. I am so thankful you are progressing as well as you are. Sounds as if you have a wonderful support system and I know that means so much to you.

    Keep those updates coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so thankful you are a little stronger each day! :) I think it's terrific that you are considering how your updates might help another mom like you looking for answers about what her recovery will be like. That's wonderful that your kids are helping so much. Out of love for you like your mom, Jimmy, and friends but also as a result of you training them through the years to work hard to help you around the house. Your efforts as a mother to teach them chores are now blessing you as you heal. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to the updates as well, Roan...I have two other friends right now battling breast cancer...both are a little older than you and me but still, the fight is the same. I have shared a few of your posts with one of these two ladies bc her cancer sounded somewhat similar to yours. She is taking chemo right now and will face surgical decisions by May. Your comments, feelings, etc. have already been put to good use. Keep it up, but rest, rest, rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am definitely NOT bored by your updates. You are truly amazing and God's healing power is amazing! Please keep sharing, I know there are others out there who will benefit from you courage and strength.

    Praying for your continued healing and that you can do those read alouds soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying to catch up (we are moving right now) and LOVE reading your updates. Bless your sweet heart, I am glad you are feeling better. May today be awesome for you and your sweet family. Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction soon. I was looking for a blog where I can read about an experience with this. It's so hard to find! And then I was looking for sewing ideas too. I found your blog! I'm so glad you wrote this and today, I will read every word. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete