Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chicken and Rice Soup

This recipe is adapted from Sue Gregg's Soups and Muffins. I have the whole set of Sue Gregg's cookbooks, and they have been invaluable to me as I am trying to cook healthier foods for my family. Julie enjoys reading and cooking from these cookbooks too.

Chicken and Rice Soup

3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 quarts organic chicken broth
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup chopped baby carrots
1 chopped onion
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 cup frozen green peas
1 1/2 cups 1 % milk
3 Tbs. whole wheat flour
garlic salt to taste

Boil chicken breasts in water to cover. Season water with garlic salt. When chicken is done (about an hour or so), remove chicken from broth. Add the 2 quarts of chicken broth to remaining water (now broth) in pot. Add rice, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, saute carrots and onions in olive oil. Shred chicken. After rice cooks, add onion, carrots, and chicken to pot. Cover and simmer for a while. I started this right after lunch, and just let the soup simmer all afternoon over very low heat. About one hour (or less) before serving add peas. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Whisk flour into milk, and then add this to the soup pot. Stir to combine and simmer for 20 more minutes or until soup is heated throughout. Taste and add more salt or garlic salt to taste.

Delicious! Each one cup serving is 161 calories.
I served this with homemade whole wheat bread.

5 comments:

  1. We love the Sue Gregg cookbooks. I got my set years ago when I first started learning about whole (real) foods. Recently, Kate discovered the kid's section in one of them, and so we're starting to revisit them more and more.

    We like the blender pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade soup! I haven't made this kind-may have to give it a try!
    I did get my TT sold, I put it on the Homeschool Swap, and one mom bought both. =) I will have some time of in July to do our planning for next school year.
    Go you with all of the running- I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had my set of Sue Gregg for about 15 years. Some of them are very tattered. Lauren and Devin used to read them at lunch time and used the Lunches and Snacks book as a nutrition course (is the nutrition info still included in that book?) Kaelan is now doing the same thing. Lauren is looking for a set on ebay, so I really need to get her a set for her home. I know the cookbooks have changed and Sue has gone over to soaking grains, etc. I'm not quite there for everything yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I'm going to look up Sue Gregg right now...how did I miss her?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Sue Gregg Cookbooks! While homeschooling my (now adult) children I would have them each prepare meals for the family and they would use the Sue Gregg Cookbooks. We love Chicken & Rice Soup!

    ReplyDelete