Friday, March 4, 2011

Move It Memphis 5K & 10K

Last Saturday our family traveled to Memphis to participate in the Move It Memphis 5K & 10K. Jimmy ran the 10K, and Olivia, Julie, and Clay ran the 5K. I took pictures and watched the races with Leah and Sam. The race site was Beale Street, right beside the FedEx Forum.

Clay approaching the finish line

Jimmy approaching the finish line.
That bird was in the way of my picture taking!
Jimmy set a PR for a 10K--44:38. We are all so proud of him!

The weather was perfect for running! This race had about 1000 participants, and it used a new kind of chip timing....a strip affixed to the back of the race number.

Jimmy and Julie after the race.

Jimmy ran 5 or 6 more miles (I can't remember) after the race. He had to get in an 11 or 12 mile run for his current marathon training. While he ran, we enjoyed post-race refreshments and entertainment from the live band.

Sam and Clay hanging around after the race

Sam trying to smell what is left of my hair!
I got most of it cut off!

Clay and Julie listening to the band

Olivia with her award

Julie with her award

Clay with his award

We weren't sure if Jimmy won an award of not....they had some issues with the race results.....I think some of the runners who had registered for the 10K, actually decided to run the 5K, and when they crossed the finish line, it messed up the official race results.
Anyway, the award for Jimmy was setting a PR! Personal satisfaction is better than a trophy any day!

Our Family

Five weeks from tomorrow is my marathon! Panic!

Well, not really panic yet, but I am getting a little bit nervous. Yesterday Lynn and I did our 20 mile run, and I felt surprisingly ok. In fact, I felt pretty good all day until about 5:00 PM. Then I just crashed, and made it the best I could until bedtime. Running these total miles per week and running these long runs (and the medium runs which are 9-11 miles) each week are making me physically tired. Lynn and I have an 18, 22, 17, and 15 mile long run left, and then the big event!

I hope we survive!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip. Cute haircut by the way! Looks like everyone had a good race. :)

    You are doing so well in your training! I can't believe the long runs that you are doing!

    Caylie has started to have some pain in her foot, which has all of us worried. She started to do her 5 mile run yesterday, and had to stop because she was afraid that she would make it worse. Hopefully taking a few days off from running will let it rest up??? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your new haircut! It is so cute.

    Looks like everyone had a great time!

    ReplyDelete