Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Tupelo 14.2 Miler

Woo Hoo! I finished in 2 hours, 15 minutes!


I truly enjoyed this half marathon! But last night, I was a nervous wreck! I had two main concerns--that Sam would wake up while I was trying to leave, and I would be late because I had to get him back to sleep, and also that I wouldn't be able to run the entire 14.2 miles without being completely miserable.



I finally got to bed last night around 11:30 after making all of my preparations for the race: clothes picked out, race number pinned on shirt, timing chip attached to shoe, watch, flashlight, glow bracelet, and GU packed, iPod loaded with new music, coffee pot set to come on at 3:30 AM, and alarm set for 3:45 AM. Sam woke up at 1:00 and got in our bed. I couldn't go back to sleep. I slept on and off until the alarm went off. Unfortunately the alarm woke up Sam too! Thankfully, he quickly fell back asleep. I dressed and was out the door by 4:20. Sam stayed asleep!



Olivia and Julie went with Jimmy and me to the race, but they did not run. They worked the water stations first at mile 3 and then at mile 13. Mile 3 was the first water station, and I was thrilled to be handed a cup of water by my sweet daughters.



The first hour of the race was completely dark, but the full moon did shed a lot of light. I chose not to carry my flashlight, but I did wear the blinking neon green wrist band. Many other runners carried flashlights or wore headlights, so I just made sure that I ran close to them during the darkest parts of the race (where there were no street lights or front porch lights).



I ran the first 5 or 6 miles looking at my watch only once. I started out slowly, and I know that helped my overall time. At no time during the run did I feel overly tired, out of breath or sick! I really enjoyed myself! I picked up the pace after mile 6, and again at mile 8. Olivia and Julie ran the last mile with me to the finish line (after serving me another cup of water). We really picked up the pace for this last mile! Jimmy met us when I had about 3 or 4 tenths left and took pictures! Jimmy had a super race time----1 hour, 51 minutes!! Go Jimmy!!



Julie and Olivia running the last mile with me


I didn't even use my iPod. I found it more entertaining to listen to the other runners' conversations, plus I met and visited with some runners too. I met a friend of Jimmy's running the half, a man from Ohio running the full with 2 of his children (they were ahead of us), and a man from a nearby town running the half. This last man helped me pick up the pace for the last 6 miles. He encouraged me to keep up with him, and he allowed me only a few seconds walk break at the remaining water stops!


I made it home at 7:55, just in time to eat breakfast and get ready for church. Warren and Holly and their two children spent the weekend with us, and graciously kept Clay, Leah, and Sam while the rest of us were at the race. Holly had breakfast ready when we got home!


It was a great morning and a great race!



Julie, Me, Jimmy, and Olivia after the race. You can't really see the medals in this picture, but it is only half a medal because we ran the half marathon!


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It's a good thing Holly was keeping the kids. I would have only had cereal sitting on the table! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOO! Great job to you & Jimmy! Next year, y'all will have to make room for me & Lynn in that pic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job and how sweet of your daughter to run the last mile with you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Roan! You are looking way too cute and smiley at the finish, though! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete