Friday, March 20, 2009

Priorities

In my Bible reading this morning I read the following verses:

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who completes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever."
1 Corinthians 8:24-25 (NIV)

I estimate that spend around 5 hours each week running. I rarely miss completing my miles each week. Running is one of my top priorites for a variety of reasons. But these verses prodded me to think. Am I that diligent in my spiritual training? Do I rarely miss completing my time studying my Bible and praying each week? Is training for a crown that will last forever my top priority? If you ask me, I would say that sure it is! But does my training reflect that? I would never try to run a race with little or sporadic preparation. Do I try to live my life pleasing to the Lord with little or sporadic preparation? When life gets more hectic than usual do I let Bible study and time spent in uninterrupted prayer fall by the wayside? But as life gets more hectic than usual do I still log those miles? I am asking myself these questions this morning. As I look back through my thankful journal that I write in each day before I read my Bible, I can see that I have been pretty faithful in my Bible reading since August when I began this current journal.....but there are gaps. I have skipped some days. I have skimped on some days. And currently, I usually don't even have a scheduled time for Bible study and prayer on Saturdays and Sundays.
I am planning for more strict spiritual training. Training of eternal value. Training that will be my top priority. My plan is to continue my 30 minutes of Bible study and prayer each morning, but do it 7 days a week. I want to not miss a day for any reason. Medals and tropies earned in races are of some value to me, but I want most the crown that will last forever!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What amazing thoughts. I like you am sure to get my run/walk in every day but often am not disciplined about my spiritual walk. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great encouragement and insight Roan! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. It is very true how often what we say our priority is does not match up with what our actions show.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    Blessings,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Roan! This is the same bag I have, different color. I've seen some in stores fairly recently. I got mine on clearance for $15!

    http://www.target.com/Spark-Skip-Hop-Diaper-Bag/dp/B0017PB3FI/qid=1237653661/ref=br_1_1/190-4127344-8951434?ie=UTF8&node=384175011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

    ReplyDelete