Saturday, May 12, 2018

Romania Day 4

Thursday. May 10.
I began this day bright and early. I had gone to sleep around midnight the night before, and when I woke up at 6:00 AM, I decided to go ahead and get up, drink coffee, and catch up on my Bible reading. (I am a couple of weeks! behind in my daily Bible reading.) I was hoping that if I woke up this early, I would be ready for bed at a reasonable time later than night. Romania is 8 hours ahead of Mississippi time. The jet lag has really not been that hard of an adjustment, except that I find myself yawning in the middle of the day and wide awake at 11:00 PM!

Big Sam began his day by running a marathon (26.2 miles) distance around town. Julie served us breakfast, and then we began our day by doing school! Both Julie and Big Sam are in college online--Julie is working on her degree in English, and Big Sam is working on his masters. I brought five days worth of school for Leah and Sam to do during our trip. So everyone except Clay did school. 

After that, Big Sam and Clay hit the streets of Craiova. Big Sam and his dad are holding a two day lectureship about the resurrection of Christ at the end of this month. Big Sam and Clay wore shirts to advertise the event, and they spent a few hours walking the streets of Craiova handing out flyers inviting people to the event. They enjoyed lunch in town, and then Julie, Leah, Sam, and I joined them at the large city park.

The park was about a 30 minute walk from their apartment, so we got to see even more of the city. Romanian drivers drive super fast through town. Although pedestrians have the right of way, and there are many pedestrians, I still think the drivers are driving too fast!

The park was nice and cool, very shaded with paved walking paths and marked bike lanes throughout. It also features a zoo! This was quite an interesting collection of animals. Along with monkeys, leopards, and lions, there were also roosters, chickens, pigeons, horses, and deer. Quite an assortment of animals!

 the walking billboards

 at the city park

 at the zoo

 Can you see the lions in the background?

After touring the animal exhibits, the kids played on the playground for a little while. After Sam and Leah made many attempts at climb the center pole of this structure, Big Sam finally walked up and showed them how it was done.

 first one up the pole

 Clay easily followed, and then somehow Sam made it up as well.

 They helped Leah get up there too.

We walked back to the apartment and spent the rest of the afternoon visiting. Julie prepared us a delicious supper! Then we watched part of The Greatest Showman and got ready for bed. It is still hard for us Mississippians to feel sleepy at 10:00 PM. 

Leah and Sam fixing their supper plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment