Friday, May 11, 2018

10 Ways to Study God's Word

Here it is....my first list of 10 Things to celebrate 10 years of blogging.

I have studied my Bible several different ways in my life. Different stages of life lend themselves to different methods of Bible study. The important thing is that you spend time in God's Word. Spiritual food is as important for our sustenance as physical food is.
"...that He might make you know that man does not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord."
Deuteronomy 8:3
Choosing when to study God's Word is not always easy, but it needs to be top priority. I prefer mornings, after I have prepared Jimmy's lunch for the day. I sometimes read my Bible on my iPad at night, and when I had nursing babies, I kept a Bible handy to read while feeding them. 

So once you have figured out when is the best time for you to study your Bible and pray, here are 10 ideas for you. 

1. Just read the Word. Have a plan for covering a specific portion or all of the Bible. You can find a plan for just about any Bible reading online. I have done the B90 a few times. This is when you read through the entire Bible in 90 days. Reading through the entire Bible in one year is a popular plan, and that I what I am currently doing using The Daily Bible. You may plan to read through one of the Gospels repeatedly in one month, or an Old Testament book, or really anything you choose. But reading large portions of Scripture to get an overview of a time period or topic is beneficial. 

2.  Take notes while reading the Word. Some ideas include making an outline of each chapter you read, listing things you learn while reading, writing down questions you have about a passage, or recording items to apply to your daily life.

3. Copy Scripture. This is something I began doing a few years ago. I really like doing this. I began with one of the Epistles, Colossians, I think. I have copied over half of the New Testament, and I am currently copying John because our preacher is teaching a series of lessons from the book of John this year. I typically set my timer for 10 minutes while copying, and that usually allows me to complete one page of copying in my journal. I sometimes combine copying Scripture with #2--I will outline the chapter after I have finished copying it. I used to use erasable pens while copying so I could correct any mistakes I made, but now I am using a fine point Sharpie pen.

4.  Topical Study.  Using a concordance, you can read and study verses pertaining to a particular topic. While this is a good method, you need to be careful that you don't pull verses completely out of context and somehow misconstrue their meaning. It is helpful to read the verses before and after the ones your concordance references so you can make sure you understand how the verse applies to the topic you are studying. 

5.  Study using a workbook. When I am preparing for an adult Bible class or our Ladies' Bible class we usually use some type of workbook. 

6. Study to prepare for a class you are teaching. If you have ever taught any kind of Bible class, whether for adults, teens, or children, you know that lots of Bible study is required in order to adequately prepare. This totally counts as Bible study! 

7. Read Scripture to your children. Whether you home school your children and Bible reading and study is part of your school, or not, reading Scripture and studying God's Word is important. Choose a reading plan that fits with your family's schedule and be consistent with it. Bedtime Bible reading (stories for younger children and reading from the Bible itself for older ones), mealtime Bible reading, beginning the day reading, or anytime you choose, all work great! While reading to your children, they will inevitable have questions, and this allows all of you to search for answers and grow spiritually.

8. Devotional type books. While I would not let a devotional book alone be my only spiritual food for the day, every single day, many of them offer short, encouraging messages that when supplemented with further Bible reading, studying, or copying can provide a timely message for you to ponder. 

9.  Study a particular person in the Bible. Many lessons can be learned from the real people of the Bible--the good ones and the bad ones.

10. Choosing a group of Scriptures to pray. The Psalms lend themselves to this. Really many passages can be read and offered as a prayer to God. 

I hope this list of 10 Ways to Study God's Word as been beneficial to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment