Monday, November 12, 2012

Menu and Miles



I am planning on jumping in my week 6 of marathon training this week.  I completed weeks one and two, took three weeks off, and now today, I jumped into week 6.  I am not sure how smart that is, but my marathon is 9 weeks away!  I am also planning to run the St. Jude Half Marathon in less than 3 weeks.  Actually, Lynn and I plan to run 5 miles before the race in order to get in a total of 18 miles for that day (our long run that week).  

I ran/walked 6 miles today.  I did pretty good, walking a quarter mile, then running up to 1.25 miles without stopping until mile 3.25.  Then I ran the rest without stopping.  It was fine, except that at mile 5 mile my knee began to hurt.  The same pain I have been experiencing while running for a couple of months now--when I run a long distance.  I think that from now until my marathon in January, I am going to do all of my runs in my old Brooks with my orthotics.  The only thing I have changed with my running is my shoes.  My cute Brooks hybrid shoes and my old Brooks without the orthotics just don't seem to be working for me.  

Miles this week:
Monday:  6
Tuesday:  9
Thursday:  6
Friday:  18

Menu this week:

Monday:  vegetables (steamed spinach, okra, corn on the cob, new potatoes, black eyed peas, roasted asparagus and carrots, and cornbread
Tuesday:  spaghetti, salad, homemade bread
Wednesday:  burritos, Mexican rice
Thursday:  potato and black bean wraps, salad
Friday:  BBQ wraps, baked onion wrings

Sam requests these muffins every week.

Pumpkin Muffins
(makes 24 muffins)

1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 29 oz. can pure pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs. maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups other flour (oat or brown rice or a combo of the two)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix lemon juice and milk and set aside.  Combine pumpkin, sugar, syrup, and vanilla in large bowl.  Add milk mixture and stir.  Then add all dry ingredients and stir until well combined.  The batter will be thick.  Spoon batter into muffin pans.   I use paper liners, and I spray the liners with non-stick vegetable spray.  Bake for 20 minutes.

Please visit www.orgjunkie.com for more menus and recipes.




No comments:

Post a Comment