Thursday, February 24, 2011

Veggie And Bean Simmer

I am currently on the lookout for low calorie, tasty, healthy supper recipes. I found this recipe for Veggie and Bean Simmer in my Kroger coupon mailer. It was delicious! And only 166 calories per 1 cup serving.

Here is the recipe with my adaptions.

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbs. refrigerated chopped garlic

Saute the above until onion is tender.

Add:
1 cup chopped fresh broccoli,
1/2 each of red pepper, yellow pepper, and green bell pepper, cut into strips
2 medium zucchini, chopped

Cook this for a few minutes until the vegetables are all tender.

Add: (at this point I had to transfer the veggies to a larger pot)
2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans petite diced tomatoes

Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes.

For seasoning, I added:
1 tsp. cumin
sprinkling of salt
sprinkling of garlic salt (I like salty foods!)

Enjoy this filling and healthy dish. You serve with bread and a green salad.

If you have any yummy, low calorie, healthy supper recipes, please share!

3 comments:

  1. Since starting Weight Watchers, I've acquired and/or created several really good recipes that my whole family has enjoyed. I just told a friend yesterday that when I get some time, I'd write them all out for her. I'll be happy to pass them onto you, as well, if you'd like! Or maybe I'll blog them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks positively delicious! I will be trying that soon.
    We love black bean tacos. Easy peasy.

    2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1/2-1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup salsa

    Saute veggies in pan coated with NS cooking spray for a few minutes. Add beans and salsa and let simmer 10 minutes. Serve with whole wheat tortillas or on top of a bed of greens for a salad. Yum.

    I usually make these into quesadillas for the kiddos. My kids love beans. We eat A LOT of beans. I will blog more recipes as I have time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started Weight Watchers this week. I am really needing some low-cal recipes so I will stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete