Monday, January 17, 2011

School Planning

Since I have been stuck on the couch or in the bed in between sick Leah and Sam (who have the flu) since Wednesday afternoon, I have finally gotten our second semester of school planned. I do the vast majority of my school planning in July, but I only type and print checklists through December. I usually make some changes in the children's school work over Christmas break, so I have to make updated checklists.

When I copy and paste these tables from my document, they look normal on my blog (as I am typing my post). But when I preview or publish, the lines of the table all disappear and the spacing gets messed up too. So picture these checklists as charts, complete with tight spacing and boxes to check off as the child completes each subject.

I typed and printed out only 3 weeks of charts for the children, making note of the days that Jimmy would be off work since we don't have school on those days. Things change, children get sick, and unexpected travel can come up, so I have learned that printing out checklists for 3-4 weeks at a time is best. I save the checklist charts, so all I have to do is change the dates, and update the boxes that have specific assignments. It really doesn't take that long. The more I do in advance to organize the children, the more schoolwork they can complete independently.

We plan to resume school today after a long winter break (5 or 6 weeks!). Leah and Sam are still stick, but I think I can conduct school from my couch with Leah and Sam wrapped in blankets on either side.


Olivia's 10th Grade Checklist


Jan. 17-Jan. 21

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

World History






Spanish






Art






Chemistry






Geometry






Writing:

Story Starter






Wordly Wise






ACT Review






Olivia's writing assignment is one of four things, and she has one school week to complete each assignment.

1. Story starter (this is fun, and allows her to be completely creative). I use this website for all of the children for story starters.

2. Essay

3. Book Critique (a book she is reading for history or literature)

4. Informative paper about a history topic (kind of like a one page report).

Julie's Checklist 8h Grade


Jan. 17-Jan. 21

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Read alone

Homesick pp. 53-65

Homesick pp. 65-76

Homesick Ch. 4

Homesick Ch. 5-p. 112

Homesick pp.112-123

Math






Easy Grammar






Daily Grams






Wordly Wise






Spanish (2)






Writing

Mind mapping

LA p.15

Write from the mind map

Finalize paper

Story starter from website

free

EHE


Local Lingo


Country Lifestyles

Mapping

Choose Adventure

Just the Facts

Notable Names

Local Lingo

Science







Clay's Checklist 6th Grade


Jan. 17-Jan. 21

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Read alone

Homesick pp. 53-65

Homesick pp. 65-76

Homesick Ch. 4

Homesick Ch. 5-p. 112

Homesick pp.112-123

Math






Easy Grammar






Daily Grams






Copywork






Wordly Wise






Typing (2)






Spanish (2)






Spelling






Writing

pp.3-5

pp.6-7

pp. 8-10

Story starter on website

free

EHE


Local Lingo


Country Lifestyles

Mapping

Choose Adventure

Just the Facts

Notable Names

Local Lingo

Science

128-131

Notebooking activities

Crossword puzzle

133-135

136-137

Leah's Checklist

1st Grade



Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Calendar







Copywork







Phonics







Writing


Journal

Pen pal

or

story book cards

Story starter website

Doodle loops

Sketch and Scribe

Math







Read to Mama







Flashcards








Leah's checklist actually has cute little clip art under each subject title so she knows what to do. The pictures did not make the copying and pasting!

If you have any questions about these charts (I wish I could make them look right on the blog) or any of the subjects or their contents, please ask. Most of what I have learned about homeschooling, I have learned by asking questions to other homeschooling mothers.

5 comments:

  1. I always wonder how other moms organize the assignments for their kids!

    I plan our assignments out in a teacher planner (one semester at a time), and then transfer each day onto a sheet of paper to put into each child's binder. I write it all out by hand, which is tedious, but just seems to work for me. The kids highlight each assignment for the day as it is completed.

    I do hate it when we have to miss a day for whatever reason, and things get thrown off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also use a table for check marks, but mine is for the entire month with M T W Th F SPACE M T W Th F SPACE ... basically each week going across is separated with a space.

    I also use a gray scale to emphasis certain subjects, both going across and down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your organization!! We have been looking at Sonlight to use for P4/5 for our oldest in the fall. I like hearing how it works.
    I have been running for 10 years. My husband has been a runner since he was a kid, and I started running with him in college. I have run a marathon, back in 2004, but I said I would never do it again. It wasn't a good one though. It was the Derby Marathon and it was the first year for it. There weren't a lot of people running the full so when it split off from the half, you were sort of by yourself.
    I love the half-marathon distance though! I am doing one in April with the goal of completing it in under 2 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of doing this for myself with my litle one. I often lose track of what I need to do during our busy mornings, this would help greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you possibly email a copy of your 1st grade checklist? I have been trying to get this all figured out my girl and I think I need to see this!!! We are about to try to implement workboxes but with a checklist. Thanks!
    woods.3bjc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete