Friday, January 28, 2011

It's Sam's Birthday!

Today is my baby's 5th birthday! I cannot believe that he is 5. He has already opened presents, and we all enjoyed a birthday breakfast of pancakes and bacon. Today we are spending the day playing with Sam. Right now, he, Jimmy, and Clay are playing with Legos. I am sure they will end up outside because the weather is so pretty here today. We plan to treat Sam to hibachi for supper. I'll post pictures of the fun day after it's all over!

In other news.....yesterday I did not turn on my computer all day. No, I didn't! I just never had a spare minute. I began the day by meeting Lynn at 6:00 AM for a 16 mile run. It took us 2 hours, 49 minutes to run, plus another 20 minutes or so of 3 bathroom/water/GU breaks plus one more gatorade break. We ran into two of our friends, Yonea and Amber who were doing a 6 mile run, so we ran about 4 miles with them. Fun! I was so tired after yesterday's run that I went to bed at 9:30 last night and did not get up until 6:30 this morning. That is a lot of sleep for me!

I ordered two new books that arrived yesterday, and I cannot wait to find time to read them. They are Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn and Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman. I have read Kim's blog for many, many years, even before I began blogging and reading blogs, Kim had a website with so much information that has shaped how I run our family. I am looking forward to learning even more as I read her book. This book has gotten many positive reviews. Maybe I'll share a review too after I read it. (hardback, 318 pages!)

When I woke up this morning, I remembered the cold morning just 5 years ago. I had not had a very restful night--it was full of contractions and discomfort. It was a Saturday, and my doctor had told me earlier in the week that he would be on call on Saturday, and if I felt like I was in labor to just come on in. It was 2.5 weeks before Sam's due date, but I was ready! I went to the hospital, found out I was dilated 5 cm, and I checked in. Sam was born at 5:26 (I think that was the time) that afternoon. What a wonderful day! He weighed 8 lbs., 5 oz., and he was beautiful. Such a sweet baby. And he is still my baby.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Sam! I got Large Family Logistics and wrapped it up for myself for Christmas. I did look through it first and ordered another one for Lauren. Today I finally finished typing up and mounting Before Breakfast/AFter breakfast routines, bedtime routines, bedroom chores, bathroom chores and A, B and C chores. A Chores are the kitchen chores, B is the den, school room and outdoor living areas and C chores are dining room, hallway and laundry chores. Aaron, Kaelan and Jackson will rotate A B C chores with Devin and Jordan helping out when they are available. Of course, Jackson will be doing them with me, but it is time for him to learn how to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Sam!
    Wow, are your training for a marathon? Great job on the run! And great job on not turning your computer on all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Sam had a wonderful day! Can't believe that my little Carson will be 5 in August! The time flies WAY too fast, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete