Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Coupon Clipping

When Jimmy and I were first married, and up until probably the time when Julie was born, I diligently clipped coupons. Nothing fancy or time-consuming, I just clipped coupons out of the Sunday paper---only clipping the ones for items that I already planned on buying. Gradually I got out of the habit completely.
I have several friends how are really coupon savvy, and they inspired me to try again. So, for the month of January, I have used coupons at my weekly Kroger visit. Surprisingly to me, I saved $8-$12 dollars each week! I was amazed! That is over $40 for the month! $40 times 12 months will be $480 in savings!

Since I love to organize so much, high on my list of coupon clipping was how to manage the coupons. In the past I had one of those accordion type thingys that I sorted the coupons in by categories. Some of my friends use a file box type thing, and some of them use a binder. Since I love binders, I chose the binder method. I bought a package of baseball card clear plastic page protectors from Toys R Us, and I placed my coupons in the little holders. I like things to be alphabetized, so I have one page protector for each letter of the alphabet. I put toothpaste coupons in the T page, and dish detergent in the D page, etc. I can find my coupons easily this way.

One more thing I tried this month was to stay out of WalMart! Normally, I shop there only once a month. I have done this for years, so I know just how much toilet paper, toothpaste, paper towels, kleenex, detergent, etc. to buy for each month. But, my coupon clipping friends informed me that I would save more money by shopping weekly at Walgreens, CVS or both, buying their on sale items with a coupon. To maximize my savings, they encouraged me to purchase the items that offered Register Rewards (Walgreens) or Bucks Back (CVS). So I tried it this month.

It wore me out!

I am used to going to Walmart once for the month and being done with it. For the past 4 weeks, I have frequented Walgreens and CVS weekly! And I still had to go to WalMart to purchase cat litter, cat food, Murphy's Oil, and a few other items that Walgreens or CVS just do not sell in the quantity or at the savings that I need. So, I am still undecided about whether I am going to still try Walgreens/CVS......I know that I still need a monthly Walmart trip. I think I will just continue to study the Walgreens sale paper on Sundays, and when they offer a really good sale, and I have the coupons, and I can get the Register Rewards, then I will stop by there on my way to Kroger. I have also learned that some of my regular WalMart items, when on sale, and I have a coupon, can actually be purchased cheaper at Kroger.

I am still learning. But I think my grand total of savings at the end of this month (savings from my regular WalMart/Kroger monthly spending) will be around $200! That is exciting and motivating enough to make me continue with my coupon clipping.

If you have any coupon clipping or money saving ideas, please share!

6 comments:

  1. I like to look at the Walgreen circular and then have Walmart match the price. That way you can use the coupon, get the sale price, and not shop at so many stores.

    I have started driving to Tupelo so I can shop at Kroger for groceries. I have found that I save money on food because of coupons and the sale prices. I am trying to only go to Walmart for toiletries, paper products, ect... So far I am saving money-I should keep a record of how much.

    I love the idea of a binder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David recently received some coupons in the mail from Mrs. Liesa G. She was very helpful in picking out ones for him, please ask her about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole Walgreen/CVS thing just looks way too time consuming for me at the stage of my life. I have used coupons for years on items that I normally use and that are on sale. I generally shop at Kroger every other week or so, only buying sale items there. I had been buying a lot at WalMart, but have been purchasing more at Sam's. I will run into Todd's when they have a good price on meat, though. My shopping is generally limited to Tuesday's when the kids have piano (which means I have 4 children with me and make a library visit as well) or on Sat. when everybody and their grandma are shopping as well. At this point saving my time and sanity is almost as important as saving money!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roan,
    SOMEONE (DAVID M.) IS CELEBRATING A 'BIG' BIRTHDAY IN MAY!!!! SO, I'VE ALREADY STARTED HELPING HIM OUT AND PREPARING HIM FOR THIS MILESTONE IN LIFE....SO, WHEN I SEE VITAMINS FOR JOINTS, ETC., I CLIP THEM AND SEND THEM TO HIM! LOL. JUST BEING A GOOD FRIEND, YA KNOW! HA.

    HAPPY DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This link may be useful...
    togetherwesave.blogspot.com.

    It amazes me that some people actually save more than they spend with coupons, but I just have never had the time or motivation to figure all of that out!

    The site above seems like it could save some time though...maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - I stumbled onto your blog and read your post... so ofcourse, since this is what my blog is mostly about I thought I would share a few words and look one of your readers already has mentioned my blog. I am so excited!! Please stop by.

    ReplyDelete