Monday, October 1, 2012

The Pink Month

Well, October is here.  Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Pinktober.

Several times since February/March, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I wondered how I would feel when October arrived.  The month of pink.  I remembered previous Octobers when everywhere you looked there was pink.  Pink ribbons.  Grocery store products packaged in pink.  NFL football players wearing pink.

To be honest, I never thought that much about breast cancer until last February.  In fact, all of that pink every October never prodded me to conduct a self-exam or to schedule a mammogram.  I considered myself the picture of health.  Invincible.

So how do I feel this October?  A little bit uneasy.  I went through a lot of anxiety six months ago.  It all happened so fast, and the next thing I knew I was recovering from a bilateral mastectomy.  I don't like to dwell on those couple of months.  But the pink everywhere reminds me.

But most of all this October I feel thankful.   Thankful that my cancer was detected early. Thankful that my cancer is gone.  Thankful that for right now I feel just like my old pre-surgery self.  Thankful for all of the prayers offered on my behalf.  Thankful for my steadfast, ever-gentle, always loving and compassionate husband.  Thankful for my wonderful children, parents, in-laws, and other family members.  Thankful for my dear friends.  Thankful for God's will.  So I am celebrating the fact that I am a breast cancer survivor!

I have several things to share about the subject of breast cancer, and I think I will write a series of posts this month.  My topics will include risk factors, screening and prevention, supporting breast cancer awareness and research, and helping friends in need.

Two of my favorite breast cancer websites are:
BREASTCANCER.ORG
and
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation

"I will give You thanks in the great assembly; I will praise You among many people."
Psalm 35:18

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful you are doing so well and am even more thankful for your attitude throughout all of it!
    God is SO awesome!

    ReplyDelete