Way back in October, during Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I began my now hopefully annual sewing service project--drain bags and comfort pillows for mastectomy and reconstruction patients. I posted pictures of this project last year, but I can't remember if I posted the directions. I will include them today.
I invited Leanna, Julie, and Megan to help. Megan and Millie Janalee came over one Saturday and spent the entire day sewing (and visiting too!). On that day Julie, Megan, and I cut out all of the pieces for the 72 drain bags and the 72 comfort pillows! That's a lot of cutting! Earlier in the week, I took the rolls of ribbon to Spartan XC practice, and several of the mothers cut all of the ribbon for this project. Then we began sewing, serging, ironing, and turning. And while we made a dent in the project, it was nowhere near finished. Such is the story of most of my great ideas and projects--they take way, way longer than I ever anticipate.
But not to worry! I recruited Leanna to help with the sewing, which she happily agreed to. She completely sewed, stuffed, and finished 36 pillows! That was a huge contribution! Julie and I made the other 36 pillows plus finished the drain bags over the course of three or four weeks. I mostly sewed in 30 minute sessions (using my timer!) when I could find the time.
I enlisted Leah, Sam, Julie, and Clay to assist with pinning on the safely pins and bagging the bags and pillows. Then, finally, on the second Monday in November, I delivered the finished project. I divided the bags between the Women's First Resource Center and the Breast Care Center, both located in Tupelo.
I did not meet my goal of finishing and delivering this donation during the month of October, but that's ok! Women have breast cancer surgery all twelve months of the year!
Here are some pictures.
supplies on my crafting table
a close-up of how we attached the ribbon to the inside of the drainage bags
finished, packaged sets
a drain bag holder
Here are the instructions--I am copying and pasting an email that I sent to a friend last year who requested these directions. They really are easy to make!