Friday, January 27, 2012

The Lego Man Head Cake

It seemed like a good idea a couple of weeks ago!  When Julie and I were scrolling through Pinterest looking for cute ideas for Leah's and Sam's birthdays, I saw a couple of pictures of a lego man yellow head cake.  What a bright idea!  I knew I could make that!  I even watched a You Tube video that featured step-by-step instructions.   Unfortunately, I could not find the link to that video tonight.

Sam's 6th birthday is tomorrow, and he plans to get up bright and early!

I began mixing and baking Sam's birthday cake at 8:00 tonight.  Actually, Julie mixed the first two cake mixes, and I mixed the second two.  Yes, this cake requires four cake mixes!  And we added 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup sour cream to every two mixes.  As soon as we were ready to pour the batter into the pans, I realized I had a very big problem---I had only one pan of the correct size, and I had to bake 4 layers!  The fourth layer as well as the fifth smaller layer are in the oven right now (at 11:15 PM), and I still have to let the last layers cool and then ice the entire cake.  I am hoping to be in bed by 1:00 AM.

I will post pictures tomorrow, hopefully of the finished product.  I am sure that the second I am finished tonight, I will go to bed!

While Julie and I worked in the kitchen (baking cakes as well as preparing some other food that Sam requested for tomorrow), Olivia wrapped all of Sam's gifts for me!  That was a huge help.  Jimmy, with an audience of Sam, Leah, and occasionally Clay, made homemade fruit and nut bars (kind of like Lara Bars, but for half the price).  There was a lot of measuring and mixing going on in my kitchen tonight!

I am almost through decorating the kitchen table for Sam's big day.  I couldn't start on it until he went to bed, because it will be a big surprise for him.  The theme is....LEGOS.  I will take pictures of the table tomorrow too.

I am not sure how we will ever eat all of this cake!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the pictures. I made a Lego brick cake for my son's birthday last month. It took two tries to get it right and it wasn't even fancy!!

    ReplyDelete