Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Homemade Doodle Paint

I love Pinterest!  I have found so many cute ideas on there, and yesterday we tried one.  Here is the link to the original directions for Homemade Doodle Paint, and here is a recap of how we did it here at our house.

What You Will Need:
  • all purpose flour
  • salt
  • plastic squirt bottles (I got mine in the cake decorating section of WalMart--$2 for 2 bottles)
  • coloring--the original directions suggested gel icing, like I have in my picture below, but I found that regular food coloring produced much richer colors.



I found that mixing 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup salt, and a little more than 1/3 cup water made the right consistency.  I began by using a whisk, and then when I added the food coloring, I just used a spoon to stir.  If you want more paint, you can use 1/2 cup of each ingredient.


I mixed each color in the same glass measuring cup, so I had to wash the cup and spoon after every color.


This is the pink, made with red gel icing.  After making this light pink and a light blue, I switched to food coloring.  Much better!

Spoon the mixed paint into the squirt bottle using a funnel.  I snipped the end off of paper sno-cone cups to use as my disposable funnels.


After making eight different colors (and this took me about 30 minutes), Leah and Sam were eager to begin painting.  To paint, you just squeeze the bottle and draw.


Here are all the colors I made.

We used our doodle paint on cardstock.  The original directions suggested using poster board too.  I wasn't sure if the paint would dry, but the children painted last night while I was cooking supper, and this morning, they are dry.




Some of the finished products:

 by Sam

 by Leah

 enjoying the painting

by Leah

 by Sam


by Leah

I am not sure how long this paint should be stored, so I am going to encourage my children to doodle with it for the next few days.

2 comments: