Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Saturday

Busy, busy, busy.  That's how it's been around here!

This morning began with Jimmy taking Olivia, Julie, Clay, and two of the girls' friends who spent the night running at 7:00.  I stayed home with Leah and Sam and ran on the treadmill and did an Insanity workout.  My knees have really been bothering me, so today I did not do any exercises that required both feet leaving the floor at the same time.  Instead I just substituted another non-impact exercise for each of those 30 second to 1 minute intervals.  I did squats and two different weight lifting arm exercises.  I plan to do substitutions like this from now on during the Insanity workouts.  I am so happy that I was able to do the jumps (power jumps, globe jumps, basketball drills, ski jumps, etc.), but for the health of my knees, and to prevent me from injuring myself to the point of not being able to run, I am going to continue the modifications.

Next, I took Leah and Sam to a picnic at Trace State Park, which was hosted by our friends, the Guptas.  We enjoyed great food and fun company.  The children played near the lake and found all kinds of treasures like frogs and fish heads.  Thankfully, Leah nor Sam touched the fish head!  The Guptas are originally from India, and after I told Shruti that we had just finished studying the Eastern Hemisphere, and that my children had all kinds of questions for her and her husband, she invited us over to look at her saris and other Indian items.  The Guptas have already hosted us in their home for an authentic Indian meal.  It was delicious!

After the picnic, I returned home to deposit Leah and Sam with Olivia and Julie and take their friends home.  (Meanwhile, Jimmy took Clay to visit his parents and other family). Then I ran many, many errands preparing for our upcoming Rustic Youth Camp.  I am helping to teach 21 five and six year olds (Sam's class).  My Bible lessons on the day I am teaching are Jesus calling the Twelve Disciples and Jesus' first miracle, turning the water into wine.  I bought all of my supplies today for those lessons as well as all that I would need for crafts on my teaching day.  I also did a little bit of birthday shopping for Julie while I was out.  Her birthday is coming up in July.  We just got a Joann's store, so I spent a good bit of time in there checking it out.

I picked up a Father's Day present for Jimmy and stopped by Kroger for a few things for his Father's Day lunch tomorrow.  Lastly, I picked up pizza for supper, because it was close to 7:00 PM before I arrived back home.

After our pizza dinner, Clay and Jimmy cut the grass while the girls and I tidied up the entire house, cleaned our kitchen (it had not been cleaned all day!), folded and put away lots and lots of clean clothes, and wrapped Jimmy's Father's Day gifts.

Now everyone is in bed!

I leave you with a recipe for Shrimp Scampi.  This is a little bit different than how I normally make this dish--it was delicious!

Shrimp Scampi

1 pound angel hair pasta, cooked
2 pounds shrimp
2 sticks butter 
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. jarred minced garlic
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. (or more) Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt

Melt butter in skillet.  Saute garlic for just a minute.  Add other ingredients except for shrimp and pasta.  Let simmer a few minutes and then add shrimp.  Cook shrimp until pink. Pour sauce and shrimp over drained pasta.  Taste and add more Jane's Salt if needed.

1 comment:

  1. Mom used to buy that Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt when I was growing up. Where did you find it? And I love shrimp scampi!!

    ReplyDelete