Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How's Your Summer List Going?

I hope it's going better than mine!

I have done nothing, and I mean not one thing on my summer list, and we have followed the summer schedule maybe two days this whole summer---the two days that we were actually home all day!

This has been the craziest and busiest summer that we have ever had. I guess it's because the children are getting older and have more activities. We have been out of town so much, and on the days that we are in town, I have had to go to town so much!

Like today--I took the children to the park to run at 7:20 this morning. We were home by 8:30. I showered and got ready to go to town. Sam went with me. We began with his dental appointment at 10:o0. This was followed by Party City, Chick-Fil-A (he was hungry), Walmart (my monthly shopping trip), Kroger #1 (looking for a birthday gift for Julie), Kroger #2 (because Kroger #1 was out of what I was looking for), and the eye doctor (just to pick up some contact lenses). We arrived back home at 2:30! Sam fell asleep in the car on the way home. I put him in his bed, and he slept a total of 7 minutes. I had not even begun to unload the car!

Thankfully, my children at home completed all of their morning chores, fed themselves lunch, and even cleaned up the kitchen while I was gone. After getting the car unloaded and all of the items put away, and working on laundry for a little while it was almost 4:00. Where does the time go? I have not even done my daily cleaning chore yet!

So, this whole post leads me to what has been on my mind for a couple of days. I realized this weekend that my summer list was just not going to be completed this year. I discussed July and early August's calendars with Jimmy, and that is when I realized that the list was too overwhelming. I decided that I needed to prioritize. I am going to spend any spare minute I have preparing for the upcoming school year, and that is all that I am going to try to accomplish for the rest of the summer. Period. As much as I dislike leaving my pantry looking like something exploded inside, and leaving the boys' room looking like a train wreck, plus the many closets and storage areas that I wanted to tackle.....I am going to focus my time and energy (both mental and physical) on school. If there is any time left in the summer after I am completely ready for school, I will try to do some of those other things, but I am not going to stress about it. I am not!

Which leads me to another reason I am posting right now instead of cleaning the boys' bathroom--I stumbled on a fabulous blog this morning while Sam was getting his cavity filled--Living Peacefully Less Stressed. Isn't that a wonderful title? I have only looked around Courtney's blog a little bit, but I like what I am seeing. I plan to spend some time over the next few days reading all of her destressing tips. If you click on the Highlights tab at the top of her blog, it will take you to where all of the stress posts are located.

Here is a picture from Father's Day morning. Just wanted to share!

The wonderful father of my children and all of our blessings!

4 comments:

  1. You are not alone! I didn't have a list written down on paper but in my mind I had things I wanted to get accomplished but time is speeding by too fast!!
    However, since time is going by swiftly, I don't have TIME to worry about it!! LOL! Hope to see y'all soon!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me feel so much better, Roan! My kids are reading their Bibles (90 day challenge), but that's about all the "school" we've done. Their transitional workbooks lay untouched. But, at least they're reading, and God's Word at that! My girls are learning to knit thanks to my mother-in-law and Monk is making slow progress on typing, but other than that we're just having fun. I think the break has done us good. We were all so burnt out in May, but now we're all eager to start school again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you! I got so inspired when I read your schedule at the beginning of the summer and I wrote down a bunch of stuff I wanted to do, schedules to keep, etc. And then life happened. Grace to you! I have just about decided that the projects will have to wait til the girls are back in school in the fall. One day at a time.
    p.s. I've run maybe four days since school was out. oh well.
    -linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title of YOUR blog as well! Thanks SO much for mentioning my blog, and I will be so happy to have you there. I will be on yours as well, what wonderful lessons you offer here! Thanks Roan! ...oh, and good for you for letting the good go for the BEST things you are spending your summer doing :)

    ReplyDelete