Friday, December 14, 2012

Wrapping the Gifts

As I was looking back through the archives of my blog to find my post about how I organize the gifts that I wrap, I was reminded of how much I have to do!  In the past years, I began posting my holiday hints in October!

We finished school yesterday, and my plan for today is to gather all of the gifts I have bought and sort them out.  I will add everything to my master gift list, and then I will make one more final shopping list.  I will be making note of how many and what kind of batteries I need as I sort the gifts.  I expect this to take me all day, because I have some cleaning to do in the storage room before I can drag out all of the gifts.  My next task will be to begin a pretty big surprise sewing project that will be gifts for some members of my family.

A friend asked me on Facebook how I sorted my gifts as I wrapped them.  I am going to repost what I wrote about this back in 2008.  This year I will be doing option #2, because I have so many rolls of pretty wrapping paper, and I want to use it all!

From 2008

Today's tip is about organizing your gifts as you wrap them. If you are like me, you have more than one Christmas celebration, with gifts going to more than one family gathering, plus the ones you will be opening in your own home. I have two different ideas:

1. Choose 3 (or however many different gatherings you have) different rolls of wrapping paper. Wrap all of the gifts for people that you will be opening presents with in one location with the same paper. For example, I would wrap my side of the family's gifts in green and white polka dot paper; Jimmy's side of the family's gifts in red and green "Merry Christmas" paper, and the gifts that are exchanged between my family and me on Christmas morning would be wrapped in candy cane striped paper. The presents are easily sorted this way. You can keep all of the gifts under the tree, and just easily gather all of the ones you need for a particular family event. When I use this method, I also choose a 4th roll of paper to wrap the gifts that go to people outside our home, but not to family gatherings (Sunday school teachers, piano teachers, the children's friends, etc.)

2. Wrap the gifts in whatever paper you choose, but designate a place to store the presents, sorting them by destination. When I do it this way I put my family's gifts in our  bedroom, Jimmy's family's gifts in our schoolroom, and the gifts for others on a table in my storage room. Our family gifts go under the tree.

Some years I wrap each of our family member's gifts in the same paper, using a different roll of paper for each person. 

This year I did not order any new ribbon!  That is a first for me.  I have plenty on hand, and if I run out of a particular color, and I many other colors to choose from.  I did buy a few new rolls of wrapping paper at Hobby Lobby.  Hobby Lobby has the best wrapping paper in my opinion, and the last time I was in there, it was on sale for 50% off.

I plan to have a most productive day, and I hope that you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment