Monday, January 1, 2018

Menu Planning on Monday

Somehow I got on a email list for Stephanie at the Ultimate Meal Planning Bundle. Earlier this week she began a series of emails with free daily tips for bootcamp menu planning. Her most recent idea inspired me to look inside my pantry and freezer and take inventory of what I have. I plan to create my weekly supper menu and grocery list based on what I found.

Here is what I have to work with:
Freezer

  • small pan of lasagna
  • 1 container of chicken broth
  • about half of a spiral sliced ham
  • ham bone with ham attached (for soup)
  • small bag of spaghetti
  • 2 bags of onions and peppers blend
  • 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
  • 1 container of beef broth
  • 5 bags of mixed vegetables
  • 1 bag of corn
  • 1/4 of a pork tenderloin
  • 1 bag of green beans
  • 2 bags of lima beans
  • grilled chicken strips
  • 1 bag of hash browns
  • 6 containers of mystery soup (I can't tell what kind of soup it is)
  • 1 container of a brown mystery soup or something? lentils maybe?
  • 1 container of red mystery sauce--pasta sauce?
Pantry
  • 1 large jar of pasta sauce
  • 5 cans of tuna
  • rotin
  • pinto beans
  • kidney beans
  • chickpeas
  • cream of chicken soup
  • rotel
  • baked beans
  • chicken broth
  • vegetable broth
I think we will take a chance and defrost the mystery soups for one or two meals. I plan to make some chicken fajitas with the shredded chicken and onion/pepper blend. We can eat the lasagna one night for supper, and the spaghetti one day for lunch. With the remaining frozen vegetables, pork tenderloin, and one of the broths, I can make a vegetable soup. (I'll buy some canned tomatoes to add to the soup.) One more meal idea is to serve the ham with the baked beans and make some potato salad to go along with that.

What's in your pantry and freezer that you can menu plan with?

3 comments:

  1. I did the same thing this week. I learned from the experience that I buy LOTS of frozen cauliflower because I think I’m out - I had more than 10 bags hiding away! It feels good to use what we have on hand and save a little on the grocery bill in the process. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Emily! How do you prepare the frozen cauliflower?

      Delete
    2. I buy two kinds: riced and florets. The florets are either roasted or steamed and mashed with a small amount of smoked Gouda and a couple teaspoons of butter. The riced I use as rice in chicken-fried rice or any other rice dish. The rest of my crew can do without it, but Rachel and I LOVE cauliflower! :)

      Delete