Sunday, January 1, 2017

Ringing in the New Year

Happy New Year!

I spent several hours yesterday making plans for 2017 and transferring information to my new Erin Condren planner. (Love those planners so much!). I used cute stickers and wrote all my family's birthdays, Jimmy's days off, and vacations and such for the entire year. Next, I started on my 2017 goals. I began with prayer and looking through my Bible for verses to inspire me this year. I also chose my word for the year:

JOYFUL

I jotted down verses that would help me be joyful and also to be mindful in my service to the Lord and my relationship with Him. My original list included nineteen verses, mostly from Matthew, but I chose one more to have an even number of twenty. I copied the references of the verses in the back of my planner, but I plan to also write them throughout the planner. I want to read these verses on a regular basis and also memorize them this year. Hopefully I can blog about them as well. 

Here are my focus verses of Scripture for 2017:
  • Matthew 5:16
  • Matthew 6:21
  • Matthew 6:33
  • Matthew 7:21
  • Matthew 11:28-29
  • Matthew 16:24
  • Matthew 22:37-39
  • Matthew 23:11-12
  • Matthew 25:40
  • Matthew 26:41
  • Mark 4:19
  • Luke 6:45
  • Luke 10:41-42
  • Galatians 5:22-23
  • James 1:2-5
  • 1 Peter 3:4
  • 1 John 5:3
  • Psalm 46:10
  • Isaiah 30:15
I have made my tentative Bible reading and study plans for 2017. I want to do the Bible in 90 days at some point, but not right away. I also plan to finish copying Galatians, and copy the other books of the New Testament that I have not copied yet. Another goal I just decided on today is to read all four Gospels once a month. I don't know my method for this yet, because I just made this goal about two hours ago.....may one gospel each week?

Julie and I both mapped our Happiness Project goals for each month. Here are my themes for each month:
  • January:  possessions
  • February:  health
  • March:  books and blog
  • April:  service
  • May:  pleasure (hobbies, fun outings, etc.)
  • June:  homemaking
  • July:  homeschool
  • August:  mothering
  • September:  friendship
  • October:  marriage
  • November:  eternity
  • December:  family
This all sounds great, but the reality is I will probably live the theme of WEDDINGS from April until the end of July....because guess what???  Olivia is engaged to me married too!  So I have two weddings to prepare and plan for....seven weeks apart!
June 3:  Julie and Sam
July 22:  Olivia and Brian

The last category I brainstormed ideas for is books. I haven't made my long range plan yet, but I always have a list of books that I want to read. I am reading a few books right now, but I want to create a booklist for 2017. I will share that when I complete it. 

Olivia, Julie, Sam, and Brian are all here for another week, and we are enjoying them all so much. My house is full, and of course so is my heart.

Oh. I am going to restart the book club (Better Than Before). If you are participating, continue to read the first chapter on distinctions. I will post about that chapter Monday, May 9.

Happy 2017!



1 comment:

  1. WOW! How exciting for your family--TWO weddings in ONE summer! My grandmother and her sister were married in a double wedding back in the 1940s. Isn't that cute? Anyhow, you will be busy but it must be wonderful to have two new "sons" coming into your lives. I'm happy for your family.

    Sometime can you post a bit about your Erin Condren planner and how you use it? They're darling (I've only seen online) but I've never seen one in person. The price tag is steep, so I've always wondered if it's worth it. I have used a Moleskine for the last 2 years--it's very simple and straightforward (and lightweight!) which I like, but I'm always on the prowl for system improvements. ;) I don't use my Moleskine for school planning, though--only life planning. I bought one for 2017 already, but usually buy my next year's planner in the summer (for school planning!), so I'll be in the market to buy one in July or so!

    Thanks and best wishes to you and your girls as you prepare for the two weddings. Wonderful, exciting news. :)

    ReplyDelete