Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Mop and the Shower Door

Well.  I finally caught up on camp/being out of town for a week laundry last night around 10:00.  I made some homemade laundry detergent, combining two different recipes, and so far, so good. I tried liquid homemade laundry detergent about 4 years ago, but I never cared for it.  This time I made a powder, and I really like it.  I'll give an update after another week (I have to see if our smelly running clothes will get clean and fresh enough).

After reading your comments on the blog and also on my Facebook page, I decided to buy this mop from Amazon. It was cheaper than some of the brands recommended to me. I did not want to invest a lot in a mop, so I felt like this one had really good reviews and was not too expensive either.  I did not want a spray mop, nor did I want to buy any special mop spray.  I am mixing up my own floor cleaner which is basically water, vinegar, and a few drops of very low cost (bought on Amazon for about $2/bottle) essential oil. So this is the mop I bought.


18" Professional Microfiber Mop | Stainless Steel Handle | Premium Mop Pads + 2 FREE Microfiber Cloths
(That's how it's listed on Amazon)
(I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste a link to the page.)

I love this mop!  The handle is all one piece and is made of stainless steel.  It also can get longer or shorter, depending on your needs.

The microfiber cloths are just wonderful!  I also bought a 3 pack of additional cloths, because I knew the two that the mop came with would not be enough for me to use at one time.  The mop head swivels, and just glides across the floor.

I mix up my cleaning solution in a mop bucket and put the 5 microfiber cloths in the bucket.  I squeeze out and use one at a time, and then I put the dirty mop cloth away and get out another clean one. 

Mopping can be fun!

The shower door.  No luck yet on any of my reader suggestions (via in person, this blog, or my Facebook page). I have yet to try one more thing....a paste of Bar Keeper's Friend.  I am about to clean the bathrooms, so I will try this. 
I have scrubbed all the filmy stuff off my glass shower door. What is left is like hard water droplets stains.  So the door is clean and shiny with whitish spots all over it.

I am determined to get that shower door crystal clear!

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to check out that mop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have hard water where I live; very hard water. I use this solution and it works wonderfully.

    1:1 parts of blue down dish-soap and vinegar. Spray your shower door, chromes and walls. Let sit overnight or at least 3 hours and gently scrub. The original post/recipe says only to rinse, but I like scrubbing. It works wonderfully.

    I love your blog!!! Thanks for all the tips and help to others.

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roan, I read Paola's comment and tried the vinegar/Dawn solution. I heated 2 c. vinegar and used 1 c. blue Dawn (not 2 c. as a few online reviews said that was too much, and I think 1 c. was quite sufficient!). It worked like magic on my shower doors!!!! I poured it onto mine and let it sit for maybe 10-20 minutes, then I just wiped/scrubbed it down. It got rid of nearly all the white spots. There are a few at the bottom that I will tackle next time--I used the entire batch of cleaner! Next week, I'll make another batch and finish it all up. It worked well on the chrome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great looking mop, and I would be willing to guess it is really light. Less weight is always a good thing when mopping floors, and a heavy mop makes it take so much longer when you have a lot of floor area like I do. I also make my own floor solution, and I've found vinegar works wonders. Good luck with the shower doors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Roan, I just had a conversation with my neighbor (Just got off the phone) on this very topic of shower doors. She brought it up actually--she's a professional housekeeper. She said that she uses a steamer, followed by a squeegee, on shower doors. She's going to let me borrow hers to try!! If I have a major update, I'll let you know. Those hard water spots are so aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I should add that the Dawn/vinegar solution worked well, but it also requires a lot of messiness! I like the idea of the steamer......)

      Delete
  6. Stainless steel mop are good and it made our cleaning quite easy. Can you suggest some Best Mop for Tile cleaning.

    ReplyDelete