Wednesday, November 19, 2014

2,672

I filled up my most recent Gratitude Journal yesterday.  I began it on March 18, 2012, and I wrote on the last line yesterday, November 18, 2014.  2 years and 8 months.  I aim to record 5 things each day that I am thankful for, but if you do the math, you will see that I missed some days here and there.  But still.  2,672 blessings are a lot. I wish I numbered my entries from the beginning…..I started listing five things I am thankful for each day over 18 years ago. These blessings are recorded in plain spiral bound notebooks, pretty journals, and also on loose leaf paper in various binders.

I just started a book called Climb Happiness Hill by Alan Bryan.  My friend, Joe, lent it to me, saying that he was pretty sure it was out of print.  I did a little bit of googling, and I found it!  I am taking good care of his copy, but I plan to order my own in the next couple of days.  I am not even through the first chapter, but I can already tell that this will be a book that I read and reread.  The author presents "Rules for Happy Living", and there are 15 in all.  The first rule is one that we all know:

Count your blessings, not your troubles.

Keeping a gratitude journal is one way to do that.  Also, as you go about your day, whenever stress, doubts, complaints, etc., creep into your thinking (and will eventually come out of your mouth!), purpose to count some of your blessings instead.  I began trying this yesterday.  What a challenge.  I was surprised at how many negative thoughts and internal murmurings ran through my brain.  As much as I remembered to, I would stop myself and quickly think of a positive spin on that negative thought.

I plan to continue this challenge today.  Wouldn't that be a good habit to develop?  To purpose to replace all negative thinking with positive instead.  To express thankfulness in each and every situation.  We are commanded to do that, you know.

"in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
1 Thessalonians 5:18

That pretty much sums it up…..in everything give thanks.

I began a new gratitude journal today.  It is a pretty one that my girls gave me for my birthday.  I had been saving it for this purpose.

So what about you?  Can you purpose to count your blessings, not your troubles today?  Can you recored your blessings in a notebook?


3 comments:

  1. I have been trying lately to be as positive as possible. I never noticed how many negative things slip out of my mouth when I am driving or cooking or just hanging around with my children in general! Wow! I may not have a Potty Mouth, but I sure do sound like Negative Nancy sometimes!

    So I have been trying to be intentional about what I say and swallow my negative words back down! Last night on the way home from dance I was working on this very hard...my daughter remarked how quiet I was being!! If she only knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think gratitude comes easier to some than to others, but everyone can cultivate it! I have kept a gratitude journal from time nowhere near as long or as faithfully as you -- good on ya! I am a person who loves small pleasures and delights in mundane beauty, so I always find it easy to find things to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me, Roan...focus on the blessings :)

    ReplyDelete