Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Finally, A Blog Post

It has been a crazy, busy summer.  I have blogged less these last two and a half months than I ever have since I began this blog in May of 2008.  Last week I considered taking a blogging break for a couple of weeks or maybe months, but I decided to just jump back in.

So here's the deal.  I have been doing some major spring cleaning, even though it is August!  I cleaned out every nook and cranny of my schoolroom, and for the last several days I have been planning and organizing our upcoming school year.  I am almost done.  I think I can finish this tomorrow and Thursday.

Jimmy is off most of this week, so he and the children have been a huge help with the spring cleaning.  I typed up a list of what I wanted to accomplish before we start school next Monday.  It was two pages, single-spaced!  We have diligently worked to cross items off of that list.  We may even finish it tomorrow!

I am so happy to say that my running is going great.  Finally!  I have been meeting Leanna once or twice a week, early in the morning (early, as in I am home by 7:15) to run 6-8 miles.   I have also met Lynn twice for a long run, and we are all running together bright and early tomorrow morning!  Yesterday and today, Jimmy ran with me, and I really enjoyed that.  In fact today with his company, I ran 6 miles without walking.  That is a milestone that I have not completed since last November!  I met my goal two weeks in a row of running a total of 24 miles, and this week my goal is 26.  I plan to build up to 30 miles a week, and just run that amount until my next surgery.

I have said this for the last couple of years, but this year I really mean it:  This school year is going to be the hardest one ever! I really, really don't know how to schedule my day.  Realistically, each child needs me a minimum of one hour, and that doesn't factor in my read aloud time.  Since Clay will be an 8th grader this year, this is the last year that I will have scheduled time to read books to him.  He and Julie are both studying World History this year (and actually so is Leah--the second half of World History), so I know that Julie will want to hear the read alouds too.  Help!  Someone schedule my day!  I can't decide if I want to spend a huge chunk of time trying to create a detailed schedule on paper, or just start school Monday and figure it out as I go!  Maybe something in between.

The children begin XC practice tonight.  They are all thrilled!  Their coach told them at the beginning of the summer that if they completed at least 80% of their prescribed miles for the summer, they would be rewarded with a cool tie-dye t-shirt.  I am happy to say that all four of my running children completed this challenge.  Even Leah!  Even though we had school, and camp, and a week at the beach, and VBS, and just life in general, they dedicated themselves to following that plan.  I am very proud of their diligence.  And I am especially thankful to Jimmy who ran many, many of those miles with them--to insure that they got their miles in.

Tomorrow I hope to begin sharing some pictures of my newly cleaned and organized schoolroom, as well as our curriculum for the upcoming school year.  I also have plans to share recipes that some of you have asked for.

Thanks for all of your condolences for our sweet dog Lucky.  Olivia is working on marking both Lucky's and Lilly's gravestones.  I am not sure exactly how she is doing it, but I know that it will be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment