Sunday, February 18, 2018

Let's Talk About Running Again

I have a love/hate relationship with running. Although I have run fairly consistently for 11 years now, it continues to be a struggle most days. Up until about three years ago I continually trained for six marathons and numerous half-marathons. I ran my last marathon in December of 2014, and I have not even considered running another one since! I have still run one or two half-marathons a year since that time, but I have almost lost my interest in that too.

I ran two half-marathons recently--one in December and one in January. The December one was ok. My training was poor. I ran only 1-3 days a week, but for the last four weeks prior to the race I did a  10-12 mile run weekly. On race day I finished with a respectable time, (however pretty slow for me), but I was sore for days. I vowed then that I would train better for my January half-marathon.

But I didn't.
It was Christmas holidays and all my people were here for almost two weeks and of course I did not want to run. My plan for the Mississippi Blues Half Marathon on January 27 was to run/walk and somehow finish before Jimmy finished the marathon. Note to self: running a half-marathon without proper training is not the smartest idea.
I walked/ran in about 1/2 mile intervals. It was cold, and it rained the entire time. I listened to podcasts and just took my time. I set a PR for my slowest half-marathon ever!


So here I am. I have not been motivated to run for so long now. I even stopped going to CrossFit for all of December and January. I began CrossFit again at the beginning of February, and I am slowly getting my groove back. I also printed out a training plan for the Coke 10K on May 5. I actually completed all my miles for week one (which ended today). Progress. 

For me, exercise is like most other tasks. Once I get started and in a routine, I am fine. It's just taking the first step, literally. I am ALWAYS glad once I am through exercising. I like how I feel when I run in the mornings or go to Crossfit (well, except for being sore sometimes after Crossfit---but I am so weak and am basically starting over and my Coach is modifying everything for me---so I am not really even that sore yet!) My clothes fit better when I run on a regular basis. 

So I am challenging myself, again, to follow a training plan for an upcoming race. This time I am going to do it. 

Do you need to challenge yourself? Do you have a fitness goal? Do you want to join me in making exercising five days a week a top priority? Walk, run, aerobics, CrossFit, yoga, pilates.....whatever form of exercise you are motivated to do. Please join me. Let's be successful together. 



2 comments:

  1. I've been a consistent runner for around 15 years, but this fall I aggravated an old ankle injury and had to completely stop. I couldn't even go for walks, but it was okay because it's cold here in the late fall and winter, and so I didn't mind. Now my ankle is fine again, and I even have a new pair of running shoes, yet I keep procrastinating taking that first step! It's so hard to start up again after stopping, but I know that once I do, I'll be right back at it and glad. Just have to put on my shoes . . . and I need it to stop snowing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing a lot of exercising here--it helps my back. My goal is basically to just be completely consistent. Most days I try to hit 10,000 steps (less easy than one would think if I'm just sticking around the house homeschooling and doing laundry--so I really do have to get on the elliptical, go for a long walk, or jog every day). And I do a strength-training regimen 6 days a week, using isometric exercises. I love it! I'm trying hard to balance my exercise along w/ the other demands of life....I admit that it's hard to strike a balance between homeschooling, housekeeping, practicing music, cooking, exercise and children's activities. My never-ending quest for balance continues....:)

    ReplyDelete