Sunday, July 16, 2017

It's Happening Again

Just like about seven weeks ago, as I sit here beginning my day with reading a Psalm, it hits me.
Olivia is leaving home for good.
In 6 short days she will marry Brian, and they will leave to begin their new life together--far away from us.
Olivia is such a ray of sunshine! I will miss her terribly.

The tears come again.

Where has the time gone? How in the the blink of an eye have my older girls gone from playing dolls and stuffed animals for hours and days on end to getting married and moving away?

"How precious is your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings."
Psalm 37:7

Under the shadow of the Lord's wings; that's the only place I can live right now. I can draw comfort from knowing that Olivia is in His hands. As she begins her new life with Brian, I know they have committed to keeping serving Jesus at the center of their marriage. 

My anxiety level is high. I have a million things to do in order to pull off wedding #2 smoothly.  My emotions are all over the place. Jimmy's beloved grandmother, Munu, passed away Friday night, and we are all mourning. She was such a godly lady and is leaving behind a wonderful legacy. Julie and Big Sam are leaving for Romania in 8 days. Clay begins college in about a month. The Lord knew that I would need two more children after my older three left home.....I am so glad I have Leah and Sam. I have said that a hundred times these last few months.  Having more children to mother full time is such a blessing to me.

Those who know me well know that I rarely cry.  But recently the tears come often and in unexpected places. Change is hard for me, and that is what I struggle with most. I am praying for wisdom as I begin a new chapter of my life--I have a new role now (mother-in-law), and the great thing about that is now I have more children! 

Like I wrote about earlier in this post the day before Julie was married,  I am purposing to choose joy. I love Jimmy with all my heart, and I want all my children to experience the same joy in their adult lives. Thanksgiving produces joy. I have said that over and over again, but it is true. When I feel overwhelmed I remind myself of my blessings, and the joy soon follows. Yes, it requires discipline to not give into the selfishness of "my children are all growing up and leaving me!", but being thankful that our God and Father has them in the palm of His hand brings me immeasurable comfort.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God; and the peace that passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

4 comments:

  1. Amen and amen. Philippians 4:6-7 are some of my favorite verses for comfort. This was a beautiful post and you're a real-life example of handling MANY transitions (that happen to occur all at once!) with grace AND joy! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray for your family during these major changes and transitions!

    I hear what you're saying about having more children. I only have two, and so many days I think about how nice it would be to have more because I'm going to miss them so much when they're grown up!! My youngest is only 6, but the time flies. The other day I was thinking about taking her to college and I started crying...and we're a dozen years away from that reality. :)

    God is good. He gives us good gifts. I try to remember that every season of life contains blessings.

    Praying for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you as you enter a new season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying that things have gone well, and that you are getting some rest now! It is so hard to think of letting go of my kids, and my older three are all inching closer to that day. I am so glad I have my caboose baby, who is not yet 5. She's going to comfort me in my old age when all three of my others fly the coop within just a few years of each other! ;) Thank you for this reminder to cherish each day with my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete