Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Running Is Getting Fun Again





After the St. Jude Marathon fiasco (when the race was cancelled because of inclement weather--FREEZING COLD TEMPERATURES, but Jimmy, Leanna, and I ran 26.2 miles anyway), I was pretty much scarred for life from running-- A. long distances and B.  outside if it was below 40 degrees.  In fact, I have run outside only 3 times since December 7:  one 10 mile run on January 1, and two other 6 mile runs over 6 weeks ago.  I took a break from running altogether for over two weeks, and I have run a little bit here and there while also doing T25 workouts up until 3 weeks ago.

But three weeks ago I began a simple, very low mileage running plan, and I am happy to say that I have stuck with it.  Even though I have not run outside yet, running is beginning to be fun again.  I like having a running plan with blocks to check off. Like I said, the mileage is very low, but it is doable, and I will gradually build back up to running 30+ miles a week.  I would like to run another marathon.  I know I said never again, but time has a way of diminishing bad memories!  I don't have one picked out, but I do want to run another one.

So.  In keeping with making running fun again, I recently signed up our entire family for 2 races.  The first one is this Saturday, the Amanda Price 5K/10K/Fun Run.  Olivia will be home for Spring Break, so all seven of us are running.  Jimmy, Olivia, Julie, and Clay are running the 5K, I am running the 10K (just to get my long run in this week in a fun way!), and Leah and Sam are running the 1/2 mile Fun Run.

And, I signed all seven of us up for the Coke 10K!  This will be Sam's very first time to run a 10K, and I am so excited that our entire family will be running Koach's race.  Leah and Sam began training for the 10K yesterday.  They are following the Commit to Be Fit Coke 10K Facebook page training plan.  It is for beginners.  The first week's training is 4 days of running/walking, 20 minutes a day for 3 days and then 30 minutes on the 4th day.  Right now they are running on our treadmills, but as soon as it warms up, I will take them to the park.  I am looking forward to running outside myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment