Monday, November 12, 2018

I May Be Back

Well. It's been a long, long time since I blogged.

I have heard on social media more than once that blogging is dead. That podcasts are the new thing now, and many people just don't read blogs anymore. True. I listen to a few podcasts myself, and I don't read blogs like I used to. However part of that is because of the stage of life I am in, and part of that is because many of the bloggers I used to follow are no longer blogging!

But I miss my blogging community, and I miss writing. I like getting my thoughts down on "paper", and I like sharing a little bit of my life and hopefully some encouragement to my readers.

So here goes. Again. I am going to try to jump back in.

Here is some of what has been going on in my life:

  • Julie and Big Sam moved back to Mississippi (from Romania).
  • Julie and Big Sam had a baby in August!  A precious baby girl named Mae.
  • I am a grandmother! I love being a grandmother so much!
  • It is difficult being a grandmother, a mother to a married daughter 9.5 hours away, a mother to a college sophomore 12 hours away, and a homeschooling mother to a 12 and 14 year old. (Plus Julie who now lives only 15 minutes away! :) All of those roles together have been quite the task. But I love being a wife/mother/grandmother most of all. Even when it's hard.
  • Olivia and Brian have visited us twice--once in July and once over Labor Day weekend. I love having my children come home.
  • I hosted Clay's college cross county team for an overnight stay last week. All 18 of them. It was delightful!
  • Jimmy and I were able to travel and watch Clay's college end of season conference meet and also Leah and Sam's national meet over the last several days.
  • I have basically quit running. :( I sometimes meet Leanna once a week or so for a 4-6 mile run, but that's it. I am not sure how or why I lost my motivation to run, but it's gone. And I am working on getting my motivation back. I ran/walked 1.5 miles this morning. I have set a goal of 10 miles this week.  For the first time in probably 10 years, I am not running the St. Jude Half Marathon (I ran the full marathon back in 2011, and I skipped 2014 to run a full marathon the next weekend). I signed up for the 10K instead. Now I am sad that I will be getting in the line to pick up the 10K bib instead of the half or full marathon bib! That may motivate me to get back into running! (Not that there is any shame in running the 5K or 10K, it's just that for so long I was running 2-3 half marathons a year, and now.......nothing.)
  • I am still doing CrossFit once or twice a week. Our class meets three times a week, but going twice is always my weekly goal. 
  • I am beginning to work on my Christmas Holidays plans. That makes me happy! This is the topic I will probably blog about first.....as I get my thoughts and plans together I will share them.
  • I have read several good books over the last several months.
  • I stated an inductive Bible study. I have found a new groove in my personal Bible study that is working well in my life right now.
  • I love my church family. 
  • I love my best friends, Lynn and Leanna.
  • I love my family. 
  • I am so thankful for all of my blessings. 

8 comments:

  1. Well, blogging may be "yesteryear" but I still like it best of all, and I'm glad to see you back!! I have always been inspired by you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polly! I am encouraged to start back. :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome back. Blogging is not dead for me, I love to read and journaling is especially interesting to me. Even though some (or many) have stopped blogging I have found that that is actually a blessing for me personally. While I miss some of them I don’t spend as much time online. But you are one of my favorites so I really missed your blog. I find I don’t enjoy podcasts, I haven’t the patience for them nor the attention span, I find I stop listening if I’m doing something else while trying to listen to a podcast or an audio book for that matter.

    Most of all congratulations on being a grandmother. There is nothing like it, my oldest grand is 3 and his sis is 14 months old. My life is so much more enriched and I’m sure yours is as well. Double congrats on Julie and family now living 15 minutes away...maybe Olivia and her husband will get to move closer at some point before you know it. I’m looking forward to being more active on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, It sure is nice to be missed. :)
      I plan to start documenting my life again.....boring as it may be!
      About podcasts---I can only really pay attention to them when I am in my car alone. My kids don't like to listen to them, and I get too distracted to listen to them even while doing housework. I have been in the habit for so long to pray while doing otherwise mindless activities, that it is hard to keep my attention on the podcasts unless I am driving.

      Thanks again for your support!

      Delete
  3. I love podcasts too. Can you share the ones you are enjoying? And what books you are enjoying. Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly!
      I will share my podcasts and books in a blog post. :)

      Delete