Saturday, May 19, 2018

The Last 10 Books I Have Read

1. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
I listened to this book on Audible while driving to Tampa, Florida and back. This book is based on true events that occurred in Memphis, Tennessee, in the 1930s and 1940s. I was horrified as I learned the story of Georgia Tann and her stealing and selling babies and young children. This book was sad and fascinating at the same time, and it had an element of mystery which I always enjoy.

2.  Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan
I read Glitter and Glue a couple of years ago, and for whatever reason, at the time I did not care for it. Then Leanna read it and liked it, so I decided to read it again.  Kelly shares her experience as a nanny for a widower in Australia. She was in her early twenties, and she learns how much she values her own mother as the takes care of the two young children who recently lost their mother. I did like the book the second time I read it. In fact, I liked it so much, I bought Kelly's other three books.
Warning: This book (and all of Kelly's books) has way, way more profanity than I am comfortable with. I really have a hard time believing that people actually talk this way. I guess I live in a bubble. I usually will not read a book with such profanity, but her writing is so compelling, I just kept a pen handy and marked out each and every curse word. (Good for my friends who I loan the books to!)

3.  Tell Me More The Twelve Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say by Kelly Corrigan
In this book Kelly writes twelve essays explaining the lessons she has learned from her life. She includes stories about her battle with breast cancer and her every day life--complete with all its ups and downs.

4.  The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan
Kelly shares the struggle she faces as she and her father both have cancer at the same time. She has breast cancer, and he has bladder cancer. She shares and compares their treatments, their journey, and how each of them handle it.

5.  Lift by Kelly Corrigan
I read this last book by Kelly on the airplane while traveling to Romania. It was not my favorite.....it was just ho hum....not as funny or compelling as her other three books. It is short. It's a collection of things she wishes to tell her daughters. After Leanna reads it and we discuss it while run, I may like it after all! But for now....not the best.

6.  Daring to Hope by Katie Davis Majors
This is the second book by Katie Davis Majors. Her first book, Kisses From Katie, recounted her move to Uganda as a young woman. This book is set about ten years later. She shares her ongoing challenges with ministering to her community while taking care of her own 13 adopted children.

7.  Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
This is another book that I started a couple of years ago, did not finish because I could "not get into it", gave it to Leanna to read, and then reread it after she returned it with a good report! I absolutely liked it on the second try. I have already bought two other books by Robinson.

8.  The Rooster Bar by John Grisham
I listened to this on Audible either on the treadmill or in the car. It is definitely not a favorite. In fact, I really did not like this latest Grisham book. I usually love his books.....but this one had more profanity than usual (his earlier books have only an occasional curse word), and there were no "good guys". Just bad guys and worse guys. The protagonists were involved in criminal activity, and they never suffered consequences from that. Sure they had to live a life on the run in the end, but they broke the law without paying for it. I like for the good guys to win in the end. There were no good guys in this book. Thumbs down.

9.  Church of the Small Things by Melanie Shankle
Funny book by a relatable author. I love all her books.

10.  David Livingstone Africa's Trailblazer by Janet and Geoff Benge
I read this aloud to Leah and Sam. It is hard to comprehend what men like David Livingstone endured physically, spiritually, and emotionally in their lifetimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment